Why are they eating the grass?

Hedda

My two dogs NEVER miss chow in the evening, but they are often quite finicky in the morning, and I will sometimes see them eating grass. Why are they eating the grass? What does it do for them?

Jasmyne

It is a source of chlorophyll, and it is a version of "salad" that has stomach calming qualities to it. Cats do that too, and will often upchuck for it: it's a stomach tonic, of sorts, for the 4-legged ones.

It sounds like the pooches have discovered grass as their version of a morning cup of coffee, which is something they'd do in the wild, too. NEATO!

Nature

Chillin Under SummerLight
yea it's like advil and a glass of water for hangover in other words but for animals

NLMomma

My dog was doing this everyday too when I switched her food it stopped. I knew it had something to do with an upset stomach, so I figured it was the food causing it.

StingingNettle

I've always wondered if that was the reason why cats eat grass. I have one cat who will eat it any chance she gets. I have to put any plants with long leaves up high, where she can't get to them, or she will gnaw them to bits.

TonicForMe

I really think they need greens every now and then, in order to help their digestion. I've seen seed in online stores you can grow for your cats and dogs. I know my dogs will go out sometimes and eat grass and nothing is wrong with them. I also give mine carrots, veggies and fruit that are OK'ed by the vet.

jolee

I am glad our dog likes most fruits and vegetables (the okay-for-dogs ones). But I have wondered if we could find a better food for him, as I do think his eating grass often has to do with stomach upset.

Maybe it's just wonderful that they can help themselves to a natural salad!

freshfoodie

I never knew that was why dogs ate the grass. It shouldn't surprise me though because a lot of the dog foods out there are just as filled with junk and preservatives as people food. Maybe if you move to a food like Blue that is all natural the grass eating would stop?

jolee

Maybe if you move to a food like Blue that is all natural the grass eating would stop?
Freshfoodie, thanks for that reccomendation. There are some other good all natural brands that have been reccomended to me, I'm forgetting brand names at the moment. However, my mate is set on our pup having Science Diet for the first year. If I have more of a sure winner in natural dog foods, I'm willing to try soon. I've been overwhelmed by all of the options!

So, Blue is a good choice, and do you know of any other good natural brands? The closest pet store to us is small with less variety of selection and I'm not sure which ones they carry. Of course I could request that they order for me.