Where do you go to learn?

Carolynn

I know acupuncture is not something one would practice on themselves, but where can you go to learn the techniques that they use? I have always thought that it would be neat to learn how they do it.

jason

Have a great day
My friend who does it went to school for it. I'm not sure if it was the same school as his chiropractor stuff, or a separate school.

gina121

I suppose you'd have to go to an Acupuncture School to learn it correctly, even if it is only for self administration. If you live in the US, the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture website has got a list of acupuncture schools for non-physicians.

SifuPhil

In addition to Gina's source there's Acufinder.com, which allows you to search by zip code, state, city or course preferences.

Something that you might not be aware of is that acupuncture is far more than just sticking needles into arms and legs; there's a lot of theory you have to understand before you ever pick up a needle, an entirely different paradigm of knowledge that you have to embrace. Also, you do indeed practice on yourself, at least at first, under supervision, and if you were to try acupuncture on your friend or neighbor without a license you could be arrested and fined for practicing medicine without a license.

It isn't something to play around with - as with any other medical technique you need to have proper training.

iampeebs

My friend who does it went to school for it. I'm not sure if it was the same school as his chiropractor stuff, or a separate school.
Yes, it is generally a separate school. As far as I know neither Palmer nor Life offer acupuncturist training. They are strictly chiropractic.