Where do I even get started?

I've always wanted to do this, but haven't got a clue where to start and never really looked into it that deeply. Shy of beeswax, is there any other good materials to use? I'd like to be able to supply that myself, but don't want to get bees myself :p

SweetPea

Id first take a trip to your local craft store. They should have a candle making section, if not maybe someone can refer you to a reputable online source. As far as the process Id go to youtube and find a video so you can watch the process in action. Without knowing exactly what you want its hard to make solid recommendations.

I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just something that will create some light and ideally not cost too much. I know someone who makes them from beeswax, but really I'm looking for other easily available materials. I'ver heard something about a butter based candle, but can't seem to find much about that.

SweetPea

Ive never heard of butter based candles, but you learn something new everyday! To get started inexpensively we used to use soda cans cut the top off and anchor a wic to the bottom of the can with a piece of tape very carefully. We'd then melt down all the scraps and bits of old candles and pour them in the can. let it sit overnight then immerse in warm water once its set up to get it out. Or you can leave it in.

Sage

I initially bought a kit from a craft store. You can get blocks of regular parrafin wax to make candles. It is less expensive than bees wax, but usually burns down quicker.

Jessi

Pfft, you don't even need to get into beeswax. Do you have any old candles sitting around? Or some broken crayons? Just melt down whatever substance you have like that, toss in a wick, and you've started the whole process without much effort at all!

I do have some old candles, but I'd never thought of crayons before. Would they not smell strange? I'll give it a try anyway. If anyone has any info on the butter based candles I'd really appreciate it.

SweetPea

I wouldnt use crayons, they are not really meant to be melted. I dont want all that in the air I breathe. If you want to color it a drop of food coloring is sufficient.

Kaybee517

Ive never heard of butter based candles, but you learn something new everyday! To get started inexpensively we used to use soda cans cut the top off and anchor a wic to the bottom of the can with a piece of tape very carefully. We'd then melt down all the scraps and bits of old candles and pour them in the can. let it sit overnight then immerse in warm water once its set up to get it out. Or you can leave it in.
This is a great idea. I'm a creative person and lately after visiting my local craft store, I feel really inspired to get back to using my talents. Candle making is something I've always been curious to try. I'll have to check out tips online. Thanks. for posting this can idea. Great tip.