Where did you learn to make soap?

Sage

I have a book, but I have also found recipes on the Internet. I was wondering where most people learn to make soap. Did someone teach you or did you teach yourself?

Luvkenny

I was taught by my cousin. She has been making it for years. I thought it would be something fun to do so she taught me. She makes several kinds, patterns, scents, etc.. I am pretty new to it so I'm not near as crafty as her.

Basil Nut

I've only tried to make soap a couple of times, but I followed videos from YouTube, where I first got the idea. We made bath bomb fizzies, too, and gave them away for Christmas presents a few years back.

catevanne

I first learned about making soap from the Foxfire book series. It's a series of books from the 1960's where mountain people and old-timer's skills were showcased. Soap making is one of the skills they told about and that's where I learned to make lye soap. I've since done some experimenting with my own recipes.

claudine

My sister taught me. When I was visiting her I saw all of this lovely soaps she made, they smelled so good, and I got jealous and ask her if she could show me how to do it and she did. Some online advices are pretty helpful too.

jovan107

I thought myself how to make soap. I became interested in making my own soaps after realizing I had a skin allergy. I conducted a lot of research and that steered me in the right direction.

kristinafisher3

I watch a lot of soapmaking videos on youtube. Soaping101 and soapqueen from Brambleberry is an excellent resource but it would help to get a few soaping books too. I have quite a few of them. Making Liquid Soaps, The Everything Soapmaking book, and the lady from Brambleberry has a book called Soap Crafting. I have another favorite but I can't remember the name of it. It even teaches you how to render soap from bison or buffalo..