When you started growing herbs...

Lyra

What got you started growing herbs? I loved the idea of an herb garden, a little patch of sunshine that I could step out to and cut a few herbs for dinner preparation.

Primrose

My mom always had a huge bed of sage when I was growing up. It took several years for me to remember just how good it was in the thanksgiving dressing. I started with sage and have expanded to oregano, basil and mint. I plan to keep expanding this spring but haven't decided what to plant just yet.

Lyra

Lovely! Right now it looks like you mostly use your herb garden for food. Have you thought about branching out to grow some herbs for medicinal use? I found lemon balm to be an easy one to grow. It is good for stomach ailments and improves digestion. I used to put it in my husband's iced tea brew to add some lemony flavor.

Primrose

That's a great idea Lyra. A friend gave me lemon balm to grow a few year ago and due to the weather that summer, it did not do well. I may try again this summer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Trudy

I have a great space right outside the kitchen window I would love to grow herbs in. The biggest problem is that it is just as shady as it can be and gets practically no sun during the day. What herbs would grow best there?

jason

Have a great day
I love being able to use fresh herbs for cooking and when I needed to use them to help medically. They are easy to grow too which helps. It also started around the same time as I got back into gardening if not a few years before hand.