When are herbs ready to harvest?

aunaturel

For example, I have a great looking basil plant but I don't know when I'm supposed to harvest the leaves. Are they ready to use as soon as they grow or should I wait until they're a certain size or something?

jason

Have a great day
Each herb will be a different. Basil benefits from being cut often. I usually wait until it is about a foot tall. I just cut off the top of the plant on the stem/stalk that is coming up. As it ages it will get more stalks and you can cut multiples at one time.

aunaturel

I think it's about ready, then, as it is at least close to that high now. I thought I was supposed to pick the leaves, not take the stalk with it, though. Right now, I want to use it fresh.

jason

Have a great day
I think it's about ready, then, as it is at least close to that high now. I thought I was supposed to pick the leaves, not take the stalk with it, though. Right now, I want to use it fresh.

Just do not take the whole stalk. Just where it splits. If it does not split you can start by taking a few leaves.

Primrose

I generally let my go until the fall and then harvest it. However, I do use it all summer long. Just this past weekend, I pulled several leaves, dried them in the microwave and used them on grilled corn. May I say, it was delicious.