What do you use for a cough?

Lyra

I need some fresh ideas. One of my kids has had a nasty, wet cough for about 3 weeks. He's seen a doctor; it's not bronchitis or pneumonia. It just keeps lingering, in that way that some coughs do.

Any ideas for some herbs or remedies I might not have tried?

Luvkenny

I wish I knew. I am constantly sucking on peppermint candy and drinking hot cocoa. The heat in the cocoa seems to soothe my throat for a bit of time. I don't know what else to try. I can't wait to hear what others have to say.

Primrose

My "go to" remedy is peppermint tea with honey and lemon. Fresh peppermint is always better but dried works well too. Can you keep him away from cold drinks for a while. I found that worked well with my kids.

Hyacinth

For myself, I always make a cup of tea with honey and lemon whenever I have to battle with colds and cough. For kids though, I guess you have to consult the pediatrician before giving your child herbal remedies.

Lyra

Well, his cough got worse overnight. And, what's even worse, I had a little congestion, but mine turned really bad overnight. I am in sadder shape then he is now. I've bumped up our efforts with cold, wet socks and hot salt packs round the clock. The house smells like Vick's and we've been hitting the tea with lemon and honey all day. It's the pits!

Carolynn

I hope you guys are feeling better by now. My grandparents had a "remedy" for coughs that worked everytime. I don't know the proportions but it had whiskey, lemon, orange juice, and honey in it. As a kid the whiskey would of course knock me out, but the cough would be gone for good by morning.

Aletha

Have you tried marshmallow. It will soothe the throat and help a sore throat. I would also use the warm honey and lemon with whiskey for the adults but not the child. It wouldn't be safe at least I don't think it would. You can get marshmallow root extract which is used in Chinese medicine.

Lilly

My grandparents had the same remedy. As I recall, there was only a 1/4 cup of whiskey in a mason jar full of the other stuff so I think it would be ok for kids as long as you weren't giving them a whole bunch of it. There is probably a similar amount of alcohol in some of the over the counter cough syrups.

I would say hot tea with honey and lemon. It coats the throat. When I have a cough or cold I usually drink the Celestial Seasonings Wellness Tea with echinacea. I would also suggest using a throat drop of some sort. My favorite is Ricola.

Lyra

Well, nothing helped. I finally went in to see my doctor. It was bacterial in nature and I went ahead and hit the antibiotics. I am feeling better, but am still not all the way there. Thanks for all the suggestions.

chabella

All Lady
Tea is always great. This week a friend stopped by with these amazing little candies but I have no idea what they are called. I swear they are like a life saver. Best things I have ever had to keep control of the cough.