washing machine madness

chabella

All Lady
I just spent the last hour clearing out our washing machine because someone decided to do laundry three days ago and left them in the washer. Has this happens to anyone else before? What is the best way to clean it, I want to make sure nothing start growing in there and it was quite expensive so I really do not want to buy another one.

Lyra

You can run some vinegar through the washer or some bleach. Just run the washer empty, using the vinegar or bleach like you would detergent. I hate that smell of sour clothes, left in the washer. In the past week someone has apparently leaned on the buttons of mine, as I've opened the washer to find standing water twice.

Aletha

I have to agree with Lyra here. You may want to add some baking soda to the rinse too, to clear away any lingering odors and to mildly scrub the drum. You may have to repeat the process a couple of times, but it is fixable.

Claudette

I would throw in some old towels with good smelling detergent as the first load I washed after running the vinegar-baking soda water through. That should help absorb any leftover smells.

Yes, it has happened with us, a few times! I have to rewash the clothes and be sure to add some baking soda with a little fabric softener too. It usually does the trick.

chabella

All Lady
I hate having to rewash anything and I swear the last time this happened it was the same culprit. So how exactly do you ground a husband who over stuffs the load and then leaves it? I am thinking something devious is in store for him.

Pinkle

That's happened several times at our house too, and sometimes I've even been guilty of it. :oops: Whenever I open the washing machine to find soured clothes, I usually wash them again - at least twice. Once I can pull the laundry out and smell detergent instead of that sour smell, I'll pop them into the dryer. After that, if the drum smells, I run bleach through it.