Vitamins and supplements for boosting mood

Raspberry Leaf

I've done some research into which vitamins and supplements are good for easing depression and boosting mood, but I'm wondering which ones are reliable. I've tried St. John's Wort, but I don't seem to tolerate it very well. I've heard good things about B vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin D, but I've read conflicting reports about SAMe and 5-HTP. Does anyone have any tips?

Primrose

Have you tried Black Cohosh or Primrose? I found that these two alternated with St. John's Wort really helped me. Do check with your doctor before you start taking these though. They can be pretty powerful.

Raspberry Leaf

I've heard that Evening Primrose is excellent for helping to alleviate issues with hormonal imbalances, but I didn't know it could help with mood. I'll have to check both of those out and see what the good doctor says. Thanks!

WeepingWillow

I don't have any tips, sorry, but I am also interested in taking vitamins to boost my mood. I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck.

2Nature

Anything that promotes energy production is good for your mood. Therefore ZMA is a nice addition to your diet - a specific combo of B6, Zinc and Magnesium.

acornkin

Most seretonin is made in the gut, and it is very important for mood, so I'm all into tending my internal garden with lots of lacto-fermented veggies and stuff like that. They are also high in B vitamins.
Here is an article about the effect of traditionally lacto-fermented foods on mood:
http://www.meltorganic.com/forget-prozac-probiotic-foods-ease-anxiety-curb-depression-and-elevate-mood/
Sunlight/vitamin D is good, a good balance of omega fatty acids, and just eating the right things in the right quantities and at the right frequency helps me a lot. Many people have mood issues related to blood sugar spikes and drops, so figuring that out could help a lot. I'm still working on that myself.

Here is more detailed info about the gut-mood connection:
http://www.depressionanxietydiet.com/gut-brain-connection-depression-anxiety/
I don't know about the stuff the site suggests, it just compiled the most info about the gut-brain connection.
My diet is similar to the one suggested, close to paleo, but I put an extra emphasis on cultured foods.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Lyra

All the things you've mentioned are what I know to use for moods. Part of it depends on where your mood troubles are stemming from, too, I think. I did read a new one yesterday. I read that zinc can improve mood. Wait...or maybe it was iodine. I guess I need to go back and look again.