Using Herbs in Recipes

Alli

I absolutely love the smell of basil but have never found a good way to use it in cooking. I came across a great recipe on the internet that sounds wonderful. It combines shrimp and fresh basil, which are my two most favorite things in the whole world. Do you have a favorite herb recipe?

2Nature

I use dry basil and it gives an excellent taste to my recipes. But I don't cook with it, I add it dry, as I said.

Penelope

Basil is wonderful! I use it in almost everything. It's exceptional with anything with tomatoes in it, as the sweetness of the basil cuts the acid of the tomatoes. But really, there isn't much that doesn't taste good with some basil added. Try adding a bit of either dried or chopped fresh basil to your potato salad - it's delicious.

Aletha

I always used my own dried sage in recipes during the winter. It's so easy to rub between your palms and then measure it to a recipe you use. Just remember, even your own dried sage will be much stronger than what you have in the cabinet, so taste until you get used to using your sage.

SoftRain

I'm a huge basil fan. I add it to pretty much everything I make, as long as it's savory. I even grow it myself now, although I just had to cut back a rather sorry looking plant, so I can't harvest any at the moment.

Basil does go really well with shrimp, so I bet your recipe will be very good.

Lyra

Basil is food of the gods. I love it fresh in a caprese salad. A really fun way to use herbs in the kitchen is to make an herb butter. Just soften a stick of butter and mix in whatever herb combo you think might taste good. You can use it on a warmed up loaf of French bread, or on corn on the cob or for seasoning sauteed fish.

Alli

You folks have given me lots of good ideas here. Thanks so much. I can't wait to try some of these. The sage I knew about because I make a great sage dressing every Thanksgiving and use my homegrown sage. Thanks again!

Cassia

I absolutely love the smell of basil but have never found a good way to use it in cooking. I came across a great recipe on the internet that sounds wonderful. It combines shrimp and fresh basil, which are my two most favorite things in the whole world. Do you have a favorite herb recipe?
I am also a shrimp fan, and one of my favorite ways to have my shrimp is marinating it in a lemon juice-soy sauce with basil mixture then throwing it on the grill. I also like sprinkling my salad with chopped basil.

2Nature

I love marinating sea foods but I'm not a huge fan of shrimps. I add garlic and celery to lemon juice when preparing marinade. Sometimes I'll even add rosemary to the mix.