Toxic medications for healthy women?

Lyra

I want to say this is shocking to me, but it really isn't. Women are already encouraged to have double mastectomies when only one breast has cancer, or even if a woman has discovered that she has the gene that predisposes one to breast cancer, as a prophylactic.
http://www.naturalnews.com/040106_breast_cancer_New_York_Times_treatment.html#ixzz2RiDZFX6m
Here is an excerpt from an article about it.

A taxpayer-funded government task force has issued new guidelines that literally urge healthy women to take toxic cancer drugs "preventively" in order to allegedly decrease their risk of developing breast cancer. As recently promoted by The New York Times (NYT), these shocking new recommendations from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) have been issued despite a complete lack of evidence that the dangerous cancer drugs being recommended have any preventive efficacy whatsoever.

Primrose

That's ridiculous! Who, in their right mind, would want to go through chemo as a prevention just in case they get cancer. Obviously they have never seen anyone go through chemo before. Personally, I feel like the cure may be as bad as the disease. Keep a close check on me, sure. But do not put me through this unless absolutely necessary.

Myrrh

Let's just say that taking the cancer drugs as a preventive measure may indeed decrease one's risk of developing cancer. However, I am afraid that there are negative medical consequences of ingesting pills when you're actually healthy. I understand that prevention is better than cure, but I think what they're proposing is uncalled-for.

SoftRain

I don't understand this at all. Why is the first answer to cut body parts off or ingest toxic medication when you may never even get breast cancer?

Here's a wild idea: treat diseases as they arise.

aunaturel

This is one of the dumbest ideas I've seen. Why is it they urge women to take these cancer drugs but they're not encouraging men to do the same? Prostate cancer kills just as often as breast cancer!

chabella

All Lady
SoftRain if people followed that advice we would have far less headaches in the world, at least in terms of people trying to shove pharmaceuticals at us that is. I really do not understand it either, the only (few) supplements I take I know I actually need. Anything else that goes in my body is fully researched before I even attempt to say "yes" to the doc. It is also part of the reason I seldom visit a doctor first, herbal treatments first, anything medical "doctor" related comes as a last resort.

Lyra

This is one of the dumbest ideas I've seen. Why is it they urge women to take these cancer drugs but they're not encouraging men to do the same? Prostate cancer kills just as often as breast cancer!
I thought about that, too. I am not one who sees sexism everywhere I look, but the medical community has a long history of misogynism. Studies still exclude women, whose symptoms can be vastly different. I cannot stand the way women are treated like their illnesses are more likely in their heads than empirically diseased.

paula

Being a Cancer survivor myself I can address this first of someone you love gets sick and you see how they suffered and you don't want to experience it or put your family through it then there are families. where 9of13 women in the family got breast cancer it isn't recorded for all just those who are at a high risk due to family history