tiny bumps on lips

dkramarczyk

I get these tiny little bumps on my lips. They go away on their own after some time passes. I do use a lot of chapstick. I go through about a stick of chapstick a month, no matter the weather. Chapstick = my lip gloss. Does anyone have the same problem? What I can I do to get rid of it?

I was so glad to read this (not because you have them!!) but because I have never heard of anybody else getting them but me. I finally did have to ask a doctor about it and he thought it might be a kind of a welt. Mine tend to come either when I get kind of stressed out, but also if I am around something that I am allergic to. I also go through a lot of chapstick/vaseline, but he didn't think that had anything to do with it. I have found Cortisone that is not in a cream form, but is a kind of roll on stick. I try not to get it too close to the actual opening of my mouth, but will put it directly on my lips. Then I do usually only use vaseline for a day or two and it goes away. I avoid the chapstick only because I want to make sure it wasn't something that was on the chapstick that maybe caused an allergy. Hope that helps.

dkramarczyk

I was so glad to read your reply. I thought I was really weird for having this problem with my lips. It does seem to act up more so when I am under a lot of stress. I will definitely have to try this out though. Hopefully it will work for me as well.
Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night, it will also appear like my lips are slightly swollen, do you have that same problem? I can't believe it could be for an allergy in my case unless I am directly allergic to chapstick, because the only thing I know of that I'm allergic to is amoxicillian. I really hope it's not the chapstick. I wouldn't be able to live with it. It seems like it would more be caused by overuse of chapstick.

Have you tried seeing the doctor about this? It could also be a minor and common herpes simplex. I suggest that you check it with your doctor as well.

shaunche

It could be the chemicals in your chapstick. Do you really know what you are smearing onto your lips? Abstain from using chapstick to determine whether it is causing the bumps.

dkramarczyk

Judging by all the pictures I've found online, it's not herpes. I haven't been in contact with anyone that has that either.

And as much as I would love to stop using chapstick, it's kind of turned into an addiction. I tried stopping and had it off for a total of 10 minutes and it felt like the longest 10 minutes of my life. I would continuously rub my lips because it felt like tiny little cracks were popping up everywhere. I'm thinking I'll just try to find a more natural version of chapstick.

I have not had the problem with them being swollen for quite awhile, but did have that problem about 10 years ago - and again, the doctor said that it was also probably due to stress (kind of like when people get hives on other parts of their body). If you do think that it might be from the chapstick, mabye try getting some vaseline or something that you can squeeze out of the tube rather than something that you are "reusing" on your lips?

dkramarczyk

I have not had the problem with them being swollen for quite awhile, but did have that problem about 10 years ago - and again, the doctor said that it was also probably due to stress (kind of like when people get hives on other parts of their body). If you do think that it might be from the chapstick, mabye try getting some vaseline or something that you can squeeze out of the tube rather than something that you are "reusing" on your lips?
I've recently started alternating between different types of lip products, only after this started happening. I'll switch from the chapstick brand to Carmex and so far it seems to help. I really dislike how carmex makes my lips feel tingly, but if it helps, then I'll live with it. And oftentimes, with my chapstick, I will shave off a tiny layer on the top so that I'm not just continuing to use the same stuff.

I use Vaseline because I, too, hate the way Carmex makes my lips feel almost numb. To me, Vaseline works well (not when you are going to be in the sun, of course), because it keeps my lips hydrated for quite awhile and it comes in tube form! Good luck!

dkramarczyk

I use Vaseline because I, too, hate the way Carmex makes my lips feel almost numb. To me, Vaseline works well (not when you are going to be in the sun, of course), because it keeps my lips hydrated for quite awhile and it comes in tube form! Good luck!
Maybe I'll have to pick some of that up then. I'm sure that would help out a lot too. I think it's basically just that my lips need a break from the chapstick, but I hate to admit that I know there's no way I'll be able to stop using it, at least anytime soon.

Maybe I'll have to pick some of that up then. I'm sure that would help out a lot too. I think it's basically just that my lips need a break from the chapstick, but I hate to admit that I know there's no way I'll be able to stop using it, at least anytime soon.
LOL. Maybe they should make a support group for us - we could be the CSA - Chap Stick Anonymous!! Good luck. I hope it gets better for you soon!