the real look at fast food

Basil Nut

Many of us grew up eating at these places. I at least hope that long ago the meat was real, even if it isn't now. I used to pull into the drive-through on the way to work and grab an egg sandwich with ham or sausage. I can't remember the last time I pulled in.

Parker

Of course they would - I have and it was totally worth it. Then again I take food eating challenges and I enjoy over the top dishes. My favorite for a time was a sundae from Baskin Robins that clocked in at over 3000 calories. I ate one every three weeks for two months. And it was totally worth it.
I'm practically speechless. I really have no response. I hope you are as healthy on the inside as you feel on the outside.

Esperahol

I'm practically speechless. I really have no response. I hope you are as healthy on the inside as you feel on the outside.
Oh, I am. I am either in acceptable perimeters for all counts or I am exceptionally healthy - that includes blood pressure, sugar index, cholesterol, and all the rest. I am quite healthy and frequently go hiking trails. The thing is I feel like I should enjoy life rather then shying away from everything that isn't "healthy". I mean genetically speaking I am a walking target for cancer, but if all I focused on was that I might as well lay down and die. Life is for the living and enjoying the things you put into your body is part of that. Therefore I do not count every calorie and I do eat monsterous things, but then again I exercise, I don't smoke, I don't drink regularly, and I avoid stress. It all works out, and most of my family has lived to be in their 70s or later inspite of the cancer spector.

Parker

Oh, I am. I am either in acceptable perimeters for all counts or I am exceptionally healthy - that includes blood pressure, sugar index, cholesterol, and all the rest. I am quite healthy and frequently go hiking trails. The thing is I feel like I should enjoy life rather then shying away from everything that isn't "healthy". I mean genetically speaking I am a walking target for cancer, but if all I focused on was that I might as well lay down and die. Life is for the living and enjoying the things you put into your body is part of that. Therefore I do not count every calorie and I do eat monsterous things, but then again I exercise, I don't smoke, I don't drink regularly, and I avoid stress. It all works out, and most of my family has lived to be in their 70s or later inspite of the cancer spector.
I agree with you for the most part. I do live is meant to be enjoyed and we shouldn't away be looking over our shoulder for some big bad disease. It seems that you take care of yourself and that balances out your diet. ;)

Other the hand, I believe we should eat to live, not live to eat. My father's death has made a deep and lasting impression on me. He went from a healthy 6'3" 210 lb man to looking like a holocaust victim when he died from pancreatic cancer. My father did enjoy his life though, but he also drank heavily. I considered him a functioning drunk. He started off the morning with a can of Schlitz beer, but never let it affect his career.

I also have relatives in the South who eat the typical southern diet and live to ripe old ages. Some, but not all do end up taking mountains of medications. So, there must be other issues at play.

Esperahol

Other the hand, I believe we should eat to live, not live to eat. My father's death has made a deep and lasting impression on me. He went from a healthy 6'3" 210 lb man to looking like a holocaust victim when he died from pancreatic cancer. My father did enjoy his life though, but he also drank heavily. I considered him a functioning drunk. He started off the morning with a can of Schlitz beer, but never let it affect his career.

I also have relatives in the South who eat the typical southern diet and live to ripe old ages. Some, but not all do end up taking mountains of medications. So, there must be other issues at play.
You have my condolences for your father. Pancreatic cancer is damned hard to beat back once it has a good hold, and it doesn't generally reveal it's self until it does have a good hold. Both my maternal grandparents died of cancer - one of them actually got over one bout of cancer and then got lung cancer, so. That said as I said if you know how to deal with things and you are okay with the consequences of your actions then you should do you and see how the chips land. My grandmother smoked and my grandfather refused to get a prostate exam - they made their beds and were content to lie in them. I'm from the South and I like alcohol as well as food, all of which is fine because I know what may happen and I'm okay with that. So it goes.

Parker

You have my condolences for your father. Pancreatic cancer is damned hard to beat back once it has a good hold, and it doesn't generally reveal it's self until it does have a good hold. Both my maternal grandparents died of cancer - one of them actually got over one bout of cancer and then got lung cancer, so. That said as I said if you know how to deal with things and you are okay with the consequences of your actions then you should do you and see how the chips land. My grandmother smoked and my grandfather refused to get a prostate exam - they made their beds and were content to lie in them. I'm from the South and I like alcohol as well as food, all of which is fine because I know what may happen and I'm okay with that. So it goes.
Thank you for your condolences. I wouldn't wish pancreatic cancer on Satan. It's really horrible. I understand your point of view and respect it. It's definitely not for me though. I prefer to health health and watch my diet. There are some foods that I miss, but then I taking a bunch of medication or developing cancer and I get over it. I don't feel that it affect my quality of life on bit.

Esperahol

Thank you for your condolences. I wouldn't wish pancreatic cancer on Satan. It's really horrible. I understand your point of view and respect it. It's definitely not for me though. I prefer to health health and watch my diet. There are some foods that I miss, but then I taking a bunch of medication or developing cancer and I get over it. I don't feel that it affect my quality of life on bit.
That's fine. To each his own and may the journey justify the ending.

ohiotom76

I tried the Cabana menu at Taco Bell recently because it was supposed to be designed by one of the contestants on Top Chef Masters. They must be trying to compete with Chipotle's bowl meals. I ordered the chicken cabana bowl, big dissapointment. The lettuce was warm and wilted, the chicken looked and tasted very processed, the rice had dull dry herbs in it, and the corn tasted like it was out of a can - then they top it with this grey-ish green sauce. I couldn't even finish it, it was just slop in a bowl.

shaunche

Advertizing is effectively legalized lying. The comparison between the advertized image and the reality is shocking.

I don't eat fast food because I don't particularly enjoy it and I'm wary about what goes into the food. I heard stories about staff spitting in burgers and that has put me off for life!

freshfoodie

Well it isn't a big surprise that advertisers lie to sell products, it happens every day. I don't eat fast food because it is really quite disgusting. I used to like the nachos and cheese at Taco Bell until I found out that it had over 300 calories in it! For chips and cheese, no meat, no beans, nothing else.

ohiotom76

For what it's worth, here is a video put out by McDonalds where they show the process of shooting pictures of their products for advertising purposes:

Long story short, that is the actual food items and there is minimal retouching - it's just put together far more carefully and meticulously for advertising purposes. Not really shocking, but then again I'm not going to wait 2 hours for a food stylist to make my burger either just so it can look like the commercials.

Basil Nut

We set up federal administrations to govern our meat-packing and food industries. Still, we can't trust that our food is real or safe. It's sad that advertising and the almighty dollar has such power.

sammilynn

I do eat fast food sometimes, but not that often, I know what's in it, and it's definitely not good for you, but sometimes giving into the craving isn't such a bad thing. These pictures really don't surprise me at all, I never really expect what I get to look exactly like the ads, but it would be nice if the ingredients were all there... I hate it when there's barely any lettuce, or they put only one tiny pickle on it... and the prices are way to high for what you do actually get. (including the bad health...)

SifuPhil

I love the site the OP linked to - that difference in appearance has been my usual experience whenever I go to one of these places (which isn't very often anymore as my kids are grown).

But food isn't the only industry guilty of false advertising - cars, clothing, you name it and they've probably "embellished" the ads.