Terragon

Lyra

I love the flavor of tarragon, especially when paired with lemon. I wanted to grow some, but all I could find was Russian tarragon. The stuff most grocery stores carry is French tarragon. Does anyone know if the flavor is very different?

jason

Have a great day
My understanding is that Russian is less flavorful then true French tarragon. Russian grows bigger and more robust however. French is also grown from cuttings rather then seed typically.

Lyra

Oh, wow, I had no idea. I guess that explains why I couldn't find any seeds at the store. So I might need more if I am using the Russian tarragon as a substitute for French tarragon in a recipe?

jason

Have a great day
You could yes. As always taste test to see how you feel. I would try a nursery or a larger seed store like Johnnyseeds.com

aunaturel

I don't think I've ever used or even tasted tarragon. What type of dishes is this herb generally used for? Does it have health benefits, as well as culinary flavor?

jason

Have a great day
The Greeks chewed tarragon to treat toothaches as it may numb the mouth. It was also used as a digestive aid and heart disease prevention.

Today it is used more for helping the digestive system and promotes appetite. Some say it can be substituted for salt if you have high blood pressure.

Myrrh

I have never used tarragon. I don't even know how it looks either, but I have once tried a tea with a mint-tarragon flavor. I must say that the mint overpowered the tarragon though.