Stinky Candles

PaloVerde

I went to a flea market the other day and a person was selling homemade candles. Most of them were wonderful but she had a couple that were pretty questionable. One was called New Car Scent and it smelled like hot plastic and another was called Simply Suede. That one may as well have been named Wet Dog. :eek:

lolli

Ha! I don't like the smell of a wet dog. Someone must like it though if she is making it. I'm pretty picky with scents and I tend to stick to cinnamon smells. I wouldn't like the smell of the new car either.

PaloVerde

I think she was trying to offer some masculine scents for the guys. Ugh. I was at a craft fair once and someone was selling leather scented candles and named them "Saddle". They were selling the romanticized idea of a scent that you really wouldn't want your home to smell like!

Hyacinth

It sounds like those scents aren't appealing to my sense of smell at all. As lolli said, maybe there are people who actually buy it, that's why the seller doesn't let go of those particular scents. As for my scent choices, I usually go for vanilla, cinnamon, lavender, or cucumber.

freshfoodie

I like things that smell like food. I do not like floral or cologne type smells. I received one called midnight musk or something once for a gift. It smelled like old man's cologne. Needless to say, that one was re-gifted at a later date. I do know some people who like the new car smell and leather too.

Primrose

Someone gave me a candle for my birthday this year called "Woodland." I'm sure it was quite expensive and I have tried and tried to like the scent. However, that is the worst smelling candle ever. My favorite is apple cinnamon.

Raspberry Leaf

In the past, I was never a fan of "woodsy" smells, but over time, patchouli, sandalwood, and cedar have really grown on me. Last year Bath and Body Works had a candle called Fireside that was really nice. Unfortunately, they didn't have it this year. I was quite disappointed.

PaloVerde

Some of the heavier floral and patchouli scents cause me to get a headache if they are too strong for inside. I tend to like the lighter vanilla and fresh linen scents the best.