Stevia

PaloVerde

I know it has been sold for several years now, but what about before then? Why the sudden surge in popularity? I have tried it and I know it's a pretty good sugar substitute, I just wonder why it took so long to come onto the market.

Last edited:

SoftRain

As more people become wary of saccharine and aspartame, they will naturally turn to other sugar substitutes. Stevia has a pretty decent reputation (which is not always deserved in my opinion) so it's becoming increasingly popular.

Aconite

Coca-Cola just issued a press release recently saying their Diet Coke sales are way down due to the public's perception of aspartame. I love it! Even if it wasn't bad for us, which it definitely is, I wouldn't drink it. I took a few sips of it one day a few years ago and it gave me a head ache! If you check the FDA's website aspartame is one of the top reported on substances that accounts for migraines, headaches, insomnia, etc.

Raspberry Leaf

Aspartame is terrible. I purposely avoid artificial sweeteners for just that reason. It's natural or none at all!

I wish I could tolerate stevia better...it doesn't sit too well on my stomach. A shame, really, because it tastes pretty good to me. It reminds me of licorice root.

PaloVerde

I would love to see more naturally sweetened items in the grocery store and without the overly inflated prices too! The healthier an item is, the more is costs. That should be the other way around!