Spice rack

PaloVerde

I received a spice rack as a present. Most of the things are ingredients I will definitely use such as basil, thyme, oregano, celery salt and so forth, but why do they always fill space with stuff people rarely use? Fenugreek, mustard seed, coriander seed, fennel seed; I don't think I've ever cooked using those.

Last edited:

Alli

I know what you mean PaloVerde. Try going online to find recipes that call for these "not so common" spices. You may just find a couple that you really like.

SoftRain

I have never used fenugreek, but occasionally need mustard, coriander, and fennel seeds. I have them in my cabinet. By now they are probably so old there is little flavor left.

2Nature

I've been meaning to order or build myself a spice rack since forever. My experience tells me the same - that some spices are never going to be used so there is no need to keep them on your rack.

Lyra

I've always thought that, too. Though I do use more spices and herbs than I used to, I would have no idea of what to do with fenugreek, unless I was trying to help someone increase their milk supply. That is the only think I know fenugreek is good for.

PaloVerde

Another problem is that none of the other spice bottles ever fit into the rack if you want to replace them. I may end up dumping out the contents of some of these bottles and soaking the labels off and refilling them with something else. There is just no telling how long some of these spices have been in these bottles anyway. This rack may have been on the store shelf or in a storeroom for years.

Aconite

You think those are bad? I once saw black licorice in a spice rack and I know most guys can't stand the taste of black licorice. Statistics say that many women do like black or red licorice so it's kind of weird.

PaloVerde

I can't even think of anything I would use black licorice for as a seasoning unless it was maybe cookies or cake. You're right, Aconite, it's one of those flavors that people either really like, or they completely hate it. Personally, I don't mind the flavor of black licorice once in awhile, like in jelly bean form. :D