Soap smell

CrunchyMama

I was at an herb shop this last week, and they had homemade soaps for sale. They all had a distinctly soap smell that overpowered the added scents. Is this to be expected or was it something in their base that caused this?

Joyce

I would personally say that they had not cured enough. When they are "fresh" so to speak, they have a distinctive almost ammonia smell, was that what you smelled or something different?

chabella

All Lady
My allergies are so bad and its hard for me to get into stores like that, too many smells at once and my sense get all fuzzy. It is a pain to order something without smelling it proper, so now I stick with only a few well known brands. I am happy to know its not just me though!

TonicForMe

No, it really shouldn't smell like anything but the scent with a bit of soap smell under the top notes of the scent. The shops that have all of the scented stuff make my nose stop up and I can't smell anything. It's like having sensory overload.

Joyce

I have seen some places have some coffee in a can and you can smell it in between smells so you get the full extent of the smells.

CrunchyMama

No, it really shouldn't smell like anything but the scent with a bit of soap smell under the top notes of the scent.
That's what I was thinking, too. I think they probably were in too much of a hurry to get them into the store. I'll have to check with my friend to see what she has available.

Celia

I have seen some places have some coffee in a can and you can smell it in between smells so you get the full extent of the smells.
That's really neat kind of like clearing your palate at a fancy restaurant between courses! I love homemade soaps but haven't tried to make it myself yet.