Soap Making & left over soap

Jewely

I have the issue of nobody wanting to use the soap when it gets small but I haven't learned anything about soap making as yet so I'm wondering what to do with theses slivers of soap, it's seems wasteful to just throw them away. Can they be melted together? Do I need to do it double boiler style?

Jewely

Wow ang this reply is above and beyond, this video link is very helpful.
I have both store bought and home made (although not by me), it would be only for our own home use and that's why I don't mind reusing all the scraps, although not the two types together.

angbaby4974

Personally, I wouldn't try to re-batch store bought soap unless it is the "handmade" kind. Store bought "soap" really isn't true soap most of the time, hence the "beauty bar" status. Manufacturers usually end up taking all of the good stuff (like glycerin) out of the soap, & replacing it with detergents to make it lather better...YUCK!!! You might as well be bathing in laundry soap :eek:
They then use the naturally occurring glycerin to make their lotions ...so their soap dries your skin...buy some of the lotion to counteract it...:rolleyes:

I prefer leaving things the way they should be, & not having to slather my skin with lotion (which most of the time contains tons of petroleum by-products anyways again...YUCK) I make my lotion, same as I make my soap. I know whats in everything I make and put on my skin :D

Sorry, I tend to get long winded when it comes to soaps...it's one of my favorite subjects :p