Soap for Teeth

Laurasav

Years ago I bought some soap chips that were made expressly for teeth cleansing. The maker stated that soap was far kinder to teeth than toothpaste. Flouride has been such a hot topic of debate, whether it is harmful in toothpaste or not - many studies have shown that it IS harmful. The tooth soap is supposed to be good for sensitive teeth, reenamelization, and healthier gums. Rinse your mouth out a few times after using the soap and you're good to go!
I looked up the maker to see if she's still in business selling her tooth soap - she is. Here's her site if you're interested: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62411448/tooth-chips-soap-for-your-teeth-2-oz

It sounds like you could just use a good handmade bar soap (I'd be leery of commercial bar soap because of unknown chemicals) to brush your teeth with too, and it would be cheaper than her tooth soap. She has some interesting information and facts on her site though.

Since I've been having very sensitive teeth issues recently, I may just go back to using tooth soap now! Plus my last dentist visit revealed receding gum issues. Time to be as gentle and caring to my teeth as possible!

Laurasav

I don't think I've ever used baking soda and peroxide. I've heard it's a good way to clean teeth and mouth though. I've just never tried it. How long have you been using this method? How much do you use of each? The taste isn't too great though, is it? I thought I might have heard complaints about the taste. I'm funny about icky tastes - I'll vomit! :confused:

beckyv1265

I have always done it like this. You can add peppermint extract just mix it up in a small cup. It doesn't tsate bad to me. I just don't buy tooth paste. I found its cheaper to use the baking soda and peroxide . I get both at the dollar store cheap and it last a long time. I do rinse with some mint although the baking soda removes all the odor in your mouth and is not necessary. I just like the minty feel. lol

AnonaMoss

I've been looking for alternative tooth paste and deodorant, but I haven't had much luck. I tried Ton's toothpaste, but my teeth just didn't feel clean. I used a baking soda based deodorant and it burned my skin. This soap idea reminds me of when parents would tell their kids they are going to rinse their mouths out with soap lol.

Becky- are you sure that the baking soda and peroxide won't eat away at your enamel?

beckyv1265

They haven't so far. I also think that people over brush their teeth. You can stimulate your gums without killing your enamel. Neither baking soda nor peroxide should be left on your teeth for a long time. I brush. Stimulate my gums and rinse. I don't stand there all day wearing out my teeth. Honestly I think theis standing there brushing for 5 mins is crap. Animals in the wild don't do it. I think that a good healthy diet, regular cleaning are more important than daily torture sessions. I just brush mine long enough to stimulate the gums and clean the teeth. I think some people go overboard and end up causing more damage.

beckyv1265

I use cheap dollar store deoderant. Its looks like a secret knock off. So far I have not got cancer and my armpits have not rotted off. My man likes to snuggle with me so I guess I am good. lol

Wow. I didn't know that you could buy soap for your teeth. I brush my teeth with a fluoride free toothpaste and baking soda every other day. Thanks for posting the Etsy store link for me to check out. I think keeping some of these as back up is a good idea.

shaunche

Diet is the most important factor when it comes to healthy teeth. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors never had toothpaste yet tooth decay was alien to them. The reason for this is that they were eating natural food and not a lot of sugar.

Lyra

I was under the impression that ingesting soap would cause diarrhea. Maybe not in such small quantities as you would swallow when brushing teeth? I can't imagine being able to handle the taste.

beckyv1265

I don't think that people injest the soap when they brush their teeth. I am guessing its a soap like powder that they brush with and just like toothe paste they spit and rinse.

Jessi

Ewww. I wouldn't want to do it simply because of the taste. :p

I do use baking soda sometimes and while it's nasty tasting, I also feel like it's natural and I wouldn't be adding anything to my teeth that I shouldn't be. You get used to the taste.

Esperahol

Diet is the most important factor when it comes to healthy teeth. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors never had toothpaste yet tooth decay was alien to them. The reason for this is that they were eating natural food and not a lot of sugar.
They got toothrot just the same, in fact some of their skeletal remains point to the subject as having died thanks to an infection of the mouth spreading to the brain.

shaunche

They got toothrot just the same, in fact some of their skeletal remains point to the subject as having died thanks to an infection of the mouth spreading to the brain.
The fossil evidence proves they had extremely low rates of tooth decay. Tooth decay shot up after the agricultural revolution when our diet significantly changed and grains become a foundation of our diet.

dissn_it

The fossil evidence proves they had extremely low rates of tooth decay. Tooth decay shot up after the agricultural revolution when our diet significantly changed and grains become a foundation of our diet.
Really? That is quite interesting! I wonder if it is the grains or is it the chemicals that are used in agriculture behind this?
As far as using soap to brush your teeth, I am not sure I would care for the taste of it either. Maybe if they had mint soap it might be easier to consider giving it a try.

shaunche

Really? That is quite interesting! I wonder if it is the grains or is it the chemicals that are used in agriculture behind this?
As far as using soap to brush your teeth, I am not sure I would care for the taste of it either. Maybe if they had mint soap it might be easier to consider giving it a try.
The agriculture revolution had disastrous consequences for our health, it is well documented. We became shorter, fatter and suddenly started suffering from chronic diseases.

One of the reasons for this is the massive change in our diet, we went from hunter-gathers to farmers.

Mrs. Rogers

My husband told me that was the equivalent of them brushing their teeth back then. Can you imagine having to chew on a tree to keep your mouth clean?

Esperahol

The agriculture revolution had disastrous consequences for our health, it is well documented. We became shorter, fatter and suddenly started suffering from chronic diseases.

One of the reasons for this is the massive change in our diet, we went from hunter-gathers to farmers.
No... we have over time become taller with longer lifespans. The only thing agriculture has done that we must never forgive it is creating diseases like Influenza. Besides would you be typing on this forum with the technology made possible by specialization made possible by agriculture providing leeway for such in a way hunting and gathering never would?

Waynefire

I have never heard of tooth soap before, but it does make sense this would help out. I remember when the dentist used to send me home with Fluoride to clean my teeth with. It was always nasty tasting and it seemed like I would be hurting my teeth more then helping them.

natastic

I have been using plain old toothpaste you buy off store shelves. Had no idea it was doing any harm. I think I might go with the baking soda and peroxide idea. Soap on the teeth is definitely something I have never heard of. But I wouldn't discount it because it very well could be better than simple toothpaste. Thanks for the info.