soap for skin issue

chabella

All Lady
What can you add into soap when making your own to help clear up the things that are like little pimples but are hollow? I have no idea what they are called but it seems I have two on my shoulder blade now and they are driving me nuts.

Do some research on salycic acid. It's a secret ingredient used in most pimple soaps. You can also look at the ingredients in Dr. Wood's black soap and go from there. Good luck to you!

shaunche

I think the best soap for your skin is no soap at all. Soap will dry out your skin and strip it of its natural oils. You don't actually need soap, warm water will suffice. The body can self-regulate without all the chemicals found in soap.

Luvkenny

This is a great question. I was trying to make soap but my family has really odd skin. My teens are having acne problems. I decided to just buy cleansers for them but I will take a look at Dr. Wood's soap.

I think the best soap for your skin is no soap at all. Soap will dry out your skin and strip it of its natural oils. You don't actually need soap, warm water will suffice. The body can self-regulate without all the chemicals found in soap.
Really?! Like, underarm stench? I don't know about that.... Can you elaborate? I would hate for someone to think they smell okay but their underarm stinks.

shaunche

Really?! Like, underarm stench? I don't know about that.... Can you elaborate? I would hate for someone to think they smell okay but their underarm stinks.
You can use natural alternatives for your underarms. I use a combination of baking soda and a few essential oils for fragrance. Abstaining from soap has been good for me personally, I had small patches of dry skin on my upper arms when I used soap, it disappeared as soon as I stopped using it.

You can use natural alternatives for your underarms. I use a combination of baking soda and a few essential oils for fragrance. Abstaining from soap has been good for me personally, I had small patches of dry skin on my upper arms when I used soap, it disappeared as soon as I stopped using it.
Okay, I am going to experiment with all natural deodorant like you suggested. Baking soda and powder seems to make sense. I just don't think the "water only" approach is a good idea. Even if you personally get used to your smell, other people will think that you stink.

shaunche

Okay, I am going to experiment with all natural deodorant like you suggested. Baking soda and powder seems to make sense. I just don't think the "water only" approach is a good idea. Even if you personally get used to your smell, other people will think that you stink.
Yeah, I tried the water only approach for a month and I wasn't satisfied, even though other people said they couldn't smell anything, they were probably being polite, haha.

I've also tried the beeswax, olive oil and essential oil combination to make my own deodorant, that worked well. Aloe vera is good too, it is a natural anti-bacterial. Vinegar and alcohol is another good option.

Yeah, I tried the water only approach for a month and I wasn't satisfied, even though other people said they couldn't smell anything, they were probably being polite, haha.

I've also tried the beeswax, olive oil and essential oil combination to make my own deodorant, that worked
well. Aloe vera is good too, it is a natural anti-bacterial. Vinegar and alcohol is another good option.
The beeswax combination sounds good. My skin is really sensitive, so I wouldn't try the alcohol kind for myself. No matter what, I just want to stay hygienic and not smell, lol.

Laurasav

I was getting a kick out of the conversation between naturalbeauty and shaunche! LOL :p
Well, I'd never consider allowing myself or hubby to go without soap cleansing! I'm a germ freak and I demand cleanliness! I don't like funky body smells either! If you're having trouble with soap, it's most likely the commercial ones. You can make or buy gentle, natural soaps that are better for your skin. My hubby's fave soaps are goats milk ones, but he likes just about any kind of handmade soaps. We buy our soaps from makers on Etsy or at farmer markets or craft fairs.

shaunche

I was getting a kick out of the conversation between naturalbeauty and shaunche! LOL :p
Well, I'd never consider allowing myself or hubby to go without soap cleansing! I'm a germ freak and I demand cleanliness! I don't like funky body smells either! If you're having trouble with soap, it's most likely the commercial ones. You can make or buy gentle, natural soaps that are better for your skin. My hubby's fave soaps are goats milk ones, but he likes just about any kind of handmade soaps. We buy our soaps from makers on Etsy or at farmer markets or craft fairs.
The problem with being paranoid about bacteria and germs is that you will cause more harm than good. Not only will you be absorbing loads of harmful chemicals, you will also disrupt your immune system and make it ultra-sensitive.

HAES3637

I have extremely sensitive skin and while I would love to support artisianal crafters or make my own I don't have the money. I found that using liquid soaps dealt with the dry patches and I switched my laundry detergent to a Free & Clear formula (hypoallergenic, in other words). I've done /much/ better since making those changes. Not nearly as much itching and almost no dry spots.

Laurasav

The problem with being paranoid about bacteria and germs is that you will cause more harm than good. Not only will you be absorbing loads of harmful chemicals, you will also disrupt your immune system and make it ultra-sensitive.
I've heard all that before, but in my case it's never been true. I'm really doubtful of any validity to it, actually. I was born sickly, was sick all my childhood and young adulthood. Once I started taking germs VERY seriously, avoiding shaking hands, touching doorknobs, sitting in back of crowds so no one could breathe on me, etc., I have been remarkably healthier! I use hand sanitizer whenever I'm forced to touch things in public I can't avoid. It works for me! I'm living proof that avoiding germs IS the best way to staying healthy!

shaunche

It's not really up for debate, to be honest. We KNOW this is the reason super-bugs have evolved. Bacteria is everywhere, attempting to sterilize everything in site is not a healthy route to take. You will make your immune system ultra-sensitive by attempting to avoid bacteria. Not all bacteria is equal, there is such thing as good bacteria...

misumaru15

I have been using a natural African black soap. It is made of plantains and some other ingredients. I break of a piece of it and wrap the rest back up. It gets soft easily.

shaunche

I have been using a natural African black soap. It is made of plantains and some other ingredients. I break of a piece of it and wrap the rest back up. It gets soft easily.
Sounds good. I've never thought of using plantains in soap, it's a good idea. Where do you buy it and how much dos it cost? The only problem with these natural soaps is the cost, making your own is usually the cheaper option.

I started using Goats milk soap which is completely natural from the person I buy it from. I have not had any type of issues with this soap at all in causing any more pimples or issues with my skin.

Laurasav

It's not really up for debate, to be honest. We KNOW this is the reason super-bugs have evolved. Bacteria is everywhere, attempting to sterilize everything in site is not a healthy route to take. You will make your immune system ultra-sensitive by attempting to avoid bacteria. Not all bacteria is equal, there is such thing as good bacteria...
Anything is up for debate, my dear! How often do we find out a "known fact" is a bunch of hogwash, years later?! Besides, any doctor will tell you the worst germs can be found on door handles and other shared community/public items/places, and shaking hands is a quick way to spread the most unhealthy germs from person to person. Doctors constantly say the best defense against these germs is to wash your hands. I just try to avoid touching as much public stuff as possible - and use sanitizer if I can't readily wash my hands. Like I said, there is a HUGE difference in my health now that I'm careful in my exposure to germs. I KNOW it works for me! I'm rarely sick now that I'm ultra cautious. Yes, everyone knows there's good bacteria. I'm only talking about the bad - and it's what I guard against! Unfortunately, the bad is just about everywhere, especially in public with the unwashed, filthy masses!

shaunche

Anything is up for debate, my dear! How often do we find out a "known fact" is a bunch of hogwash, years later?! Besides, any doctor will tell you the worst germs can be found on door handles and other shared community/public items/places, and shaking hands is a quick way to spread the most unhealthy germs from person to person. Doctors constantly say the best defense against these germs is to wash your hands. I just try to avoid touching as much public stuff as possible - and use sanitizer if I can't readily wash my hands. Like I said, there is a HUGE difference in my health now that I'm careful in my exposure to germs. I KNOW it works for me! I'm rarely sick now that I'm ultra cautious. Yes, everyone knows there's good bacteria. I'm only talking about the bad - and it's what I guard against! Unfortunately, the bad is just about everywhere, especially in public with the unwashed, filthy masses!
What could you possibly catch by shaking someone's hand? They are probably just as clean as you, most people practice simple hygiene like hand washing etc. You can't prove your improvement in health is due to your diligence with bacteria. What were you doing before? Not washing? I think your paranoia with germs is irrational and bordering on OCD.

Laurasav

You obviously don't know of the abundance of scientific studies done on the germs carried on people's hands and how they transfer those germs not only to other surfaces, but most certainly by shaking other's hands! Not only has it been PROVEN scientifically, but even just COMMON SENSE will tell you this! No, shaunche, many, many people do NOT wash their hands as they should, which has also been proven by MANY studies done! Look them up - you'll see for yourself. Lots of hands carry E.coli bacteria because they're not properly washed after using the restroom - a proven fact by many studies. The handles on doors, on public computer keyboards, etc., carry a crazy amount of germs from unclean people. Cold and flu viruses are most definitely passed from ill people to the healthy from touching hands or surfaces that those hands containing the virus bacteria have been touching, without washing. Yes, I always was washing my hands properly in the past, but I wasn't as careful about OTHERS who are certainly not as clean! Stupid, careless people are always out in public when they are sick, spreading their illnesses around by touching public property. That's what I am careful about now. It's not irrational to know how illnesses are passed around in public. I am now done arguing with someone who is so completely ignorant of well established FACTS. Just keep your germs to yourself.:rolleyes: