Soap For Dry Skin

SallyA

I've never made soap, but I'm going to try it. I think making my own will be a lot healthier than buying already made. My skin gets very dry in the winter months. Does anyone have a recipe for a soap for dry skin?

remidies

Salt Glow
Recipe compliments of Lori Denison of Walterville, Oregon. This recipe is fun and easy to do. The salts work great for dry skin and can be used on hands, feet and legs. Remember that if you have a cut on your skin, the salt will sting!

Ingredients:
2 parts coarse sea salt
1 part Epsom salt
liquid soap
jojoba oil
essential oil or fragrance oil
gel tone colorant
containers

Instructions:
Mix sea salt and Epsom salts together in large mixing bowl. Add enough liquid soap to help hold the salts together (so that the salts are slightly damp, but not mushy). Add a small amount of jojoba oil (suggested use is 1 tablespoon per pound of salts). Add desired amount of fragrance and colorant. Mix well, pour into containers and enjoy!

smellsrfun

Awesome question and thanks for the recipe- I am going to make some too. I have terribly dry skin and I want to make some soap too. I am going to give this a try!

Making soap for dry skin

A good recipe for a superfatted (moisturizing) soap is
5 oz. Olive oil
4 oz. Vegetable Shortening
4 oz. Soybean Oil
3 oz. Olive oil

5 oz. Distilled water (cold)
3 oz. Lye crystals

All measurements are by weight (not fluid ounces)

mix lye into water, set aside
melt coconut oil and vegetable shortening, add soybean and olive oils
check temp. on both. When temps reach within 5 degrees of each other between 110 and 130 degrees pour lye water slowly into oils, stirring constantly. (A stick blender is the best for this process, but you might be able to use a different kind or a spoon only it takes much longer) When the mixture looks like thin pudding and gets a 'trace' like in candy making, it's ready to pour into the molds.
This is pretty basic You can essential oils and herbs, etc...

Bob67

I'm going to try to make that. I, like the others here, suffer from terribly dry skin. My skin is so dry, the skin over the joints in my fingers will just crack open and bleed. Thanks for the recipe!

boobah

Very nice recipes! I am going to keep both of these. I have a daughter who has the most sensitive skin that I have ever seen. She breaks out because of almost everything.

enthusiast

I'm going to try the recipes, too. My skin is dry anyway, and it gets even worse in the winter. I think the soaps in those recipes will help a lot.