So do bath salts cause cravings for flesh?

Esperahol

Because the authorities don't seem to have much of a clue. Personally I'm leaning toward the idea that the incident in Miami was caused by an advanced case of rabies, which is borne out by the fact the attacker was homeless. What do you think?

KerryME

I work on a psych unit and we have seen quite a bit of psychosis and basic brain fry from "bath salts". I think it is one nasty drug and I wouldn't wish the after effects I have seen on anyone. Psychosis is just one of the many side effects of this drug. I don't think it was rabies, but there is always a possibility, I suppose.

dissn_it

I wouldn't think rabies would make a person do this to another person. It had to be some type of drug this guy was on to do that.

SifuPhil

If it was a drug-induced psychosis, you have to remember that a user will act out their hallucinations and delusions based upon what they've absorbed in their more lucid moments; in other words, they probably wouldn't have become flesh-eaters unless they had already been vividly exposed to the concept.

Where could they get that exposure? How about television, movies, YouTube, comic books ... yes, the media could very well be an accessory to the crime in cases like this. I agree that magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt), a common constituent of these products, seems to have some odd effects on people when smoked or ingested but I don't really understand the psychotropic chemistry involved - it strikes me as somewhat strange that a salt could have such an effect in and of itself.

misumaru15

That was so sad. They do believe the man was having a psychosis due to the drugs. They rot the brains. It's so sad what people that people subject themselves to this.

artistry

One horrific crime,. I hope the victim lives. I think there was another case in the news, similar to this one.

jblythe4

There have been some horrible things that happened in the past few weeks, lets hope they were just a few isolated incidents. Scary!

Parker

I have no idea what could cause such extreme psychosis in an individual. My prayers go out to the victim. I hope the doctors are able to give him some semblance of a face.

Esperahol

Where could they get that exposure? How about television, movies, YouTube, comic books ... yes, the media could very well be an accessory to the crime in cases like this. I agree that magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt), a common constituent of these products, seems to have some odd effects on people when smoked or ingested but I don't really understand the psychotropic chemistry involved - it strikes me as somewhat strange that a salt could have such an effect in and of itself.
So if he had been sololy raised on Teletubbies he would have just skipped around laughing? Doubtful. Media cannot push anyone toward something they are not already predisposed toward. So if old buddy was already sick in the head, then that's what the alledged drugs fed off of rather then that one really cool episode of Law and Order I don't recall existing.

SifuPhil

So if he had been sololy raised on Teletubbies he would have just skipped around laughing? Doubtful.
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at that visual - thanks!

Media cannot push anyone toward something they are not already predisposed toward. So if old buddy was already sick in the head, then that's what the alledged drugs fed off of rather then that one really cool episode of Law and Order I don't recall existing.
Questionable. To my way of thinking, certainly possible, if not probable.And you have to realize that I'm saying that media is a trigger, not the root cause of the sickness.

Familiarity breeds not only contempt, but accessibility. Do you deny that the incidence of stalking has increased greatly since the popularization of social media sites such as FaceBook? Let's say I'm a harmless little schmoo who never thought he had a chance at getting a pretty girl. Then all of a sudden, lo and behold - there's millions of 'em! All ready and waiting for my tender attentions ... :confused:

I was not predisposed to stalking before FaceBook came along, because I did not have the ability (read - chutzpah) - now it's TOO easy.

Media pushed me into doing something I would not have normally done.

It depends, if Rabies could get more advanced before a human dies, why couldn't and infected person with this disease pull something like this off? Let's be honest, the closest thing related to the disease zombies has is rabies itself. I find it difficult to believe that no one in Miami has a clue as to what was going on here, but I guess sometimes things don't get figured out. Whatever it is, hopefully it will stop, even though now you'll hear about other relative cases through out the nation that were similar to this attack.

I work on a psych unit and we have seen quite a bit of psychosis and basic brain fry from "bath salts". I think it is one nasty drug and I wouldn't wish the after effects I have seen on anyone. Psychosis is just one of the many side effects of this drug. I don't think it was rabies, but there is always a possibility, I suppose.
I've heard the same thing from family members who are apart of the healthcare industry. They seen cases in which drugs have made people go crazy.

Ankh

YOU NEVER LIED!!!
Stay far away from Bath Salts.
I saw this Inside Edition episode with this guy who was selling and manufacturing Bath Salts as a legitimate thing!!!!
And he was counter suing for defamation cause he claimed he never told the hash shop to sell the bath salts in that way. BS.

beckyv1265

I don't think these are "Bath Salts" like we think of bath salts. I believe it is a mixture of many drugs with PCP and Meth as the base and a wide coctail like "Cloud 9" wich also causes people to growl and try to bite others. These are manufactured chemical substances that people are ingesting and smoking. I think the mix depends on the mixer. It seriously messes with the serotonin in the brain and causes strange hallucinations and behaviors. This is not the stuff that we soak our weary bones in after a long day. lol

ssamcd

It is pretty creepy. I think if he was watching the zombie serious it was in his mind and the drugs made him act out on it. He probably thought he was a zombie or believed it. Years ago people who took acid thought they could fly. It is a scary situation.

beckyv1265

Yes it is very scary and a serious problem. What would you do if you are attacked by one of these fools and they try to bite you or one of your children? I know for me I don't intend to become a mobile happy meal for these druggies. I know how to double tap.

I don't care what anybody says I don't think no drug can turn a man into a flesh eating zombie. The news didn't say he took bath salts they said they suspected that he did so it's not for certain. However, if that's the case than we should be preparing for a zombie apocalypse right?

Esperahol

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at that visual - thanks!

Questionable. To my way of thinking, certainly possible, if not probable.And you have to realize that I'm saying that media is a trigger, not the root cause of the sickness.

Familiarity breeds not only contempt, but accessibility. Do you deny that the incidence of stalking has increased greatly since the popularization of social media sites such as FaceBook? Let's say I'm a harmless little schmoo who never thought he had a chance at getting a pretty girl. Then all of a sudden, lo and behold - there's millions of 'em! All ready and waiting for my tender attentions ... :confused:

I was not predisposed to stalking before FaceBook came along, because I did not have the ability (read - chutzpah) - now it's TOO easy.

Media pushed me into doing something I would not have normally done.
No, social media didn't give you a new ability - simply opened the door a little bit. Stalkers will stalk, and maybe they had to work harder before, but they still did it. It's like saying we have more violent crimes today then in the past - that's not true. There was plenty of violence, we simply did not have the resources to report it 24/7 the way we do now.