Smells and Memories

2Nature

Why do certain smells bring out old memories so fast? I don't think there is some research on this but I would like to know how brain actually remembers smells.

Alli

I can get a tiny whiff of something from my childhood and am immediately transported back in time. Here is a great article that helps explain how all this works.

SoftRain

I always knew smell was very evocative but I didn't know that's because the sense of smell is linked to the limbic system. Thanks for sharing the article; it was very interesting!

2Nature

The article is great thank you very much. Just life the veil off that mystery for me. Those childhood smells are great for keeping memories. :)

Lyra

I love it when I smell something that is tied to my history. If I smelled English Leather cologne, I would immediately have so many memories of my dad. I have joked that I want my kids to develop a sense memory of the smell of chicken stock cooking. I want them, any time they smell chicken stock cooking, they will immediately think of winter days hanging out with Mom.

Myrrh

I have always thought that there's somewhat an association between smell and memory, but I didn't know how it actually happens. Thanks for the article. Now I know the science behind it.