Skin Moisturizer

ThymeforRodney

The skin on my hands gets so dry in the winter that the skin over my knuckles cracks and bleeds. Is there a natural alternative to hand lotions. I'm not to thrilled about lotion when I started reading all of the chemicals in it.

mark5049

Thyme, I have the same problem. I have extremely dry skin and even drinking extra water doesn't help. What usually helps me (short term) is to take a nice hot bath with some baby oil mixed in the water. You and the tub will become very oily but it works. Just be careful in the tub.

wanderingherb

Ugh, dry skin, no fun.

You may want to check out dry body brushing. Along with increasing your fluids.

The lotion I like to use is Nature's Gate Hemp Lotion. I was turned onto this company by someone who was going through chemo. The lotion was wonderful not having so many additives its unreasonable. Also, you can get their lotion without fragrance. I like to add my own when I want to.

You could make your own, but you'd have to keep it in the refrigerator, and find the time to make small batches when you need it.

There is no, I repeat, no such thing as a "natural" preservative. You can add natural antioxidants but they only retard oxidation. It has nothing to do with the bacteria in the lotion itself.

Anytime water or other fluids are introduced to your potion...you are also dealing with bacteria. So sometimes its better to have a lotion with a mild preservative, than one that only uses antioxidants. Black Willow has been used in combination with others for a good result, but be sure you through it away when that date on the bottle of lotion is up.

If you want to skip all that you can either buy a commercial product, or use oils without any water introduced. You can use bath butters. These are easy to make.

Hope this helps.

Wanderingherb

ThymeforRodney

Thank you for that recommendation. I'm going to try to find it. I'm sure you could find it on the internet but I would like to find a local source if I could. I've used the Burt's Bees stuff but that doesn't seem to work for me. The goat's milk based stuff doesn't seem to work for me either.

Jackalope

Hey there ThymeforRodney... I've used Vegan Natural's 'Earthbrotha' for a couple years now, and it's awesomw for dry hands, or skin anywhere... they make different ones, depending on what essential oils are added. It's all handmade, w/ handmade with organic shea butter, organic hemp oil & organic coconut oil. Here is their website, if you're interested : hemp body balms

Take care, Jack

SuzyQ

I use plain old fashioned olive oil on my hands and it seems to work, just don't use too much! Also, after a bath I rub baby oil on my skin before drying it.

Walter

I have the same problems, so thanks for all the tips guys. I have tried olive oil and it seemed to work well for me. I wonder about coconut oil though. Is it not too oily for you?

wanderingherb

Hey there ThymeforRodney... I've used Vegan Natural's 'Earthbrotha' for a couple years now, and it's awesomw for dry hands, or skin anywhere... they make different ones, depending on what essential oils are added. It's all handmade, w/ handmade with organic shea butter, organic hemp oil & organic coconut oil. Here is their website, if you're interested : hemp body balms

Take care, Jack

Wow! Awesome. Thank-you!

wanderingherb

Maternal

Thanks for the discussion and the tips, as I also have the similar problem. I have dry skin, and it's not only on my hand. I read that increasing milk intake will help a bit.

Natural

I don't like using lotion so the bath soap I use should have moisturizer in it already. I really hate it when my skin is flaking because it is dry so I make sure that I get a bath everyday.