Shaving Bars

SoftRain

Do any of you make soap especially for shaving? What kind of clay do you use? Every shaving bar I've ever seen uses clay, but if there is something else that can be used instead of clay, I'm all ears.

2Nature

I don't make my own but I use one made by my parents. I have no idea what they put in it but it's great because I'm not a fan of shaving foams.

SoftRain

When you get a chance, can you ask them what they use in the shaving bar?

I wish the local soap store carried shaving bars in a better scent. They have one scent and I don't care for it, so I usually order it online. I still haven't gotten around to making soap myself.

Lyra

I would love to have a shaving bar to use. I'd be a little worried about trying it, though. When I use soap on my legs within 24 hours of shaving, I get hives. There are some shaving gels I can use. But I have to be very careful. Maybe a natural shaving bar would be safe for me.

freshfoodie

I would love something like this too. I would love to know what they use in it. I don't like the shaving foams because they dry out my skin. I tend to just shave with my soap bar but it doesn't really work very well.

SoftRain

I would love to have a shaving bar to use. I'd be a little worried about trying it, though. When I use soap on my legs within 24 hours of shaving, I get hives. There are some shaving gels I can use. But I have to be very careful. Maybe a natural shaving bar would be safe for me.

Yes, a natural made bar may work better for you. It really depends, though, on what you are reacting to. If it's lye, for instance, natural shaving bars won't be any better. If it's sodium lauryl sulfate, though, a natural bar would work quite well.

Lyra

Good point. I don't really know to what I am reacting. I happened to have a doctor's appointment shortly after I shaved my legs once. The doctor noticed my hives and asked. She was fascinated and told me that would be called idiopathic urticaria. In layman's terms, unexplained hives. Sometimes I get them even if I use nothing. I've actually found the most reliable way to shave without developing hives is to shave underwater. Unfortunately, that does not always give me the closest shave.

SoftRain

Are you blond or dark? If you are blond you may be able to get away without shaving at all. I have a friend who is blond and you'd never know she doesn't shave unless you look really closely. I have dark hair with fair skin so in my case it's glaringly obvious if I wait too long.

Lyra

Wouldn't that be wonderful! But, alas, I am also fair-skinned paired with medium brown hair. I am not particularly hairy; I don't even have a hint of a mustache. But my leg hair is dark enough that it shows. I have fantasized about bucking the machine and just growing it out anyway.