Savory Dressing

Primrose

My whole family thinks I made the best pan of dressing ever this Thanksgiving. I'll have to admit, it was pretty good. I used my home grown dried sage for seasoning. I think that's what gave it the great flavor.

freshfoodie

That is awesome! Maybe you can give the recipe to my in-laws because they had some of the worst dressing I have ever eaten. It was like eating mushy bread. I make some pretty good dressing myself. I add lemon juice, cream, and prosciutto.

PaloVerde

Nothing better than homegrown herbs. I don't like the store bought dried sage that much but I think it's because people use too heavy of a hand with it when they cook. Stuffing is my favorite part of Thanksgiving. I was disappointed this year. My aunt made it and she usually cooks it in the bird. This time she didn't and it was really dry. I prefer my own stuffing. I'll have to make some. Maybe a small chicken is on the menu soon!

Last edited:

freshfoodie

They didn't cook their stuffing in the bird either. My sister in law cooked it in the slow cooker. I am not sure why, since she had a 20 pound turkey. She doesn't really have a whole lot of cooking experience when it comes to holiday meals though.

PaloVerde

That's interesting. It's never occurred to me to use a slow cooker for the stuffing. It sounds like it would keep it moist, especially if you poured in a little bit of the turkey grease or broth.

Aconite

Nice, I used to go buy sage at the Venice boardwalk when I lived in Los Angeles. It was so cheap and the vendors are there pretty much everyday! There really is nothing like fresh sage, I will attest to that.

Hyacinth

My whole family thinks I made the best pan of dressing ever this Thanksgiving. I'll have to admit, it was pretty good. I used my home grown dried sage for seasoning. I think that's what gave it the great flavor.
That's wonderful! I bet your family will ask you to make the same dressing for next year's Thanksgiving. :) I think I have to agree that your home grown sage had a big role in making it the best dressing ever. Hope you share your recipe with us!