Removing Candle Wax From Carpet

Elberberry

I want to cry. One of my pillar candles burned a hole through in the back and I did not notice it until wax had dripped down the stand and on to my new carpet. Any tips on how to remove the wax and save the carpet would be great.

StarGazer

If it just happened, you have a good shot at getting it out without leaving a permanent stain. New carpet is usually treated to resist staining, which will last until the first time you get it washed. Follow the procedures listed here as soon as possible.

SoftRain

I've always heard of using an iron to remove wax, basically as detailed in the link StarGazer provided. I'm so sorry; wax is no fun to clean up, particularly from carpet.

herbalnut

I've also heard of the ironing trick to remove wax from carpet. First you need to scrape off the extra wax, as much as you can. You put down a dishtowel or rag that you don't mind being ruined, set the iron to low (low enough that it won't damage the carpet), and run the iron back and forth over the cloth for a minute or two until it comes up. I've also heard that you could use a paper towel, but I'd be afraid that it would leak through and get on the iron.

PaloVerde

What color is the wax? Is it a dyed candle? Oh, man. I am sorry. That's such a mess to clean up. I had that happen to me and thought it was awful but it wasn't a nice, new carpet and it was a white candle.

Lyra

That is the worst! I agree with the others that the best bet is to scrape up as much as possible, then use the iron and rag trick. After that, if it is not a huge spot, you can trim some of the fibers. Good luck! I hope you are able to make it work.

paula

A hot iron and alot of paper towels if this doesn't work there are stain removers that work on wax