Putting Items in Candles

SoftRain

Sometimes I see candles with items "floating" in the middle of the candle. Usually it's flowers or herbs but sometimes it's shells and I'm sure other things can be used. How do you do that without the item falling down to the bottom of the candle when the wax is liquid?

2Nature

I have never seen such candles, but the idea is great. I love making candles and I'll investigate this further. If anyone knows what additional things are safe to use, please share.

Lena51

I think putting those marbles in there would make a beautiful candle also. You can get all kind of assortments at the dollar stores to decorate the candle holders. That will make a really nice gleaming effect for the lit candles. I will try that myself, so the glow in the dark will give off different color light.

Irma

That is a good question. The same technique would probably pertain to making soaps too. I have seen some lovely hand made soaps with pressed flowers and the like in them.

chabella

All Lady
The only ones I have seen were for decoration but I am sure you could get the right extra's to add and it might help out. I wonder how confusing it would be testing what meshes best with what else though??

Suzie

My Step-Father used to get my Mother something called "treasure" candles. They were heart shaped candles with charms inside them. I always thought they were really neat.

HAES3637

Sometimes the items inside a gel candle are wax, though it is a wax that melts at a higher temperature than the gel wax. I've found that pouring the wax in layers and letting them cool somewhat before adding the "treasure" does the trick. It's a slow process but completely worth it if you can get the effect you are aiming for!

Anna T

I love candles like this! I think they are far prettier than standard candles. I also like soaps with things inside. Serves no real purpose though other than appearance.

HAES3637

If it's herbs inside it can add to the scent of the candle and possibly to the astringent properties of the soap.