Puppy in with older dog

fit2be

Do you think it’s a good idea to bring a puppy into the house when we have a 7 year old Boxer? Our dog is getting old and she loves other animals so we were thinking of bringing in a new puppy. I’m not sure this is a good idea though. I thought that maybe it would make our dog younger – physically chasing and playing with the puppy. It could make her more tired though.

BettyKane

If your older dog likes other dogs then I don't really see anything wrong with it as long as they get along. Seven really isn't that old for a dog. You may need to separate them once in a while to give your older dog some relief, a puppy does like to play a lot.

fit2be

My dog loves other animals so I think we might do it. Should I get another boxer or can I get any breed of dog? I'm thinking a Lab would be good. I hope our dog likes the new pup!

ThymeforRodney

I brought in a 6 week old Chihuahua into a household of 4 older dogs. The youngest male dog took her under his wing and took care of her like she was his pup. He cleaned her, taught her how to do things and made sure she ate and drank. It was like having a male nanny. He still takes care of her and she's 6 years old now. She will still run to him for comfort if she gets upset and he will lick her eyes.

Gracie

How sweet! I think getting a puppy would be a good idea. I bet the older dog will love the pup, especially if the older dog loves other animals. Good luck finding the right fit for you and your family.