Preservatives in food.

rayne

Have you ever read the labels on some of the foods you buy? It's amazing the ingredients there that I can't pronounce. This can't be good for our bodies can it?

ThymeforRodney

I know. I have had to start looking at ingredients like that because there is a certain one I'm sensitive to. It makes me ill when I eat it so I have to be extremely careful to watch for it.

Hedda

Processed foods are full of preservatives, and preservatives are chemistry that your body does not recognize and can't process. Some people speculate that this can lead to weight gain.

Cassia

I have developed the habit of reading food labels, so it actually takes me a longer time to finish my grocery shopping. :) It's fine with me though because when it comes to choosing what we take into the body, being extra cautious isn't a bad thing.

Iben

Have you ever read the labels on some of the foods you buy?
Of course. Like the others said, processed foods are full of preservatives and additives as well. If they don't use any chemical preservatives, they would use a lot of salt to extend their shelf life.

naturelady

The more I learn, the more frightening I find it that we have so many artificial components in our food. I was just reading the other day that there has been an increase in wood pulp being added to our food! And the FDA doesn't even regulate it, because it is considered safe. Safe...maybe...as in it won't kill you. But it is not even food!

Greyhair

That is terrible! Why would I consciously eat wood pulp..., even for its fiber? I think I have ever read that only termites can digest cellulose. That's why I always try to avoid processed food.

gemini

One thing I always look for is red dye. I won't get anything with that stuff because of everything I've read about it. I think there are a couple of different types, and the Red 40 is the main one to avoid.

Asturian

I read the labels, and I always try to avoid any foods using aspartame as the artificial sweetener. Anyway, thanks Gemini for reminding us about the red dye.