Potassium Too High

ThymeforRodney

I'm starting to have muscle spasms in my legs again and it's very painful. Every time I do this, I have had too much potassium in my blood according to my blood work the doctor does. I DO take a supplement but I also eat bananas. I'm on a banana kick right now and I've been forgetting to take the potassium supplement out of my pill boxes. So I think I'm going to have to go have some blood work again. I hate needles. :(

Aletha

You had better have that checked soon. You can also get heart rhythm problems if you have too much potassium floating around in your blood. That's not a good thing to have.

Patinka

I always thought that it was a potassium deficiency that caused leg cramps and the remedy was to drink more juice and eat more bananas. Do I have this backwards?

Too much or too little of potassium kind of has the same effects on the body, so only blood test can reveal which is which. Make sure that your potassium is within range.

hunysukle

Blood work scares the crap out of me. I try to avoid it at all costs. I wonder how you are getting too much potassium... are you consuming too many bananas while you are taking the potassium supplement? Could simply decreasing your consumption of the supplement or bananas prevent this problem?

SoftRain

Too much or too little of potassium kind of has the same effects on the body, so only blood test can reveal which is which. Make sure that your potassium is within range.
I had no idea. Like Patinka, I thought the symptoms described indicated a deficiency. Thanks for informing us so we don't inadvertently make any future potassium problems worse.

lettuce

It sounds like you don't need to be taking a potassium supplement at all if you're that in love with bananas. Throw or lock it away!

wanderingherb

I agree with Lettuce. If you are getting enough potassium frm eating that thing called food, healthy food, why take the supplements.

Sometimes muscle spasms are indicative of low electrolytes, magnesium level, or..other issues. So its best to get this checked. At least you'll know and can make good decisions from there.

By the way, if the nurse drawing your blood is hurting you, ask for a different one. That's ridiculous. Blood draws don't really hurt, but boy I have had to ask a nurse or two to "back away from the vein." If they dig even once...they don't touch me again. I'm not there as a practice dummy.

I would always say don't take chances when it comes to serious health problems. I am sorry to say if I consider this serious but for me it is. Having lots of potassium or less potassium in your blood leads to involuntary muscle movements (spasms) that might lead to complications like stroke or paralysis brought about by high blood pressure. So let your blood be checked so you can be treated the right way.

btatro

I'm starting to have muscle spasms in my legs again and it's very painful. Every time I do this, I have had too much potassium in my blood according to my blood work the doctor does. I DO take a supplement but I also eat bananas. I'm on a banana kick right now and I've been forgetting to take the potassium supplement out of my pill boxes. So I think I'm going to have to go have some blood work again. I hate needles. :(
High potassium can be very, very dangerous. It can easily lead to heart problems. Please forget about the needle and get your potassium level checked. If you are taking a supplement, perhaps you should skip the banana (or vice versa). Doing both may be too much for your body.

Check also if you consume other foods or fruits that are also high in potassium along with your bananas. You can search the internet for a list of foods high in potassium.

shaunche

I usually eat one banana a day and I experience occassional muscle spasms, although the spasms are painless. I have also experienced the odd heart 'flutter', I wonder if my potassium levels are too high...