Portion Control

SoftRain

Do you pay attention to portion control? How do you do it?

Currently I measure everything out with measuring cups, but I want to get a kitchen scale. It would be more accurate.

Lyra

I have to be honest that I am not at all good at portion control. My portions are based on how hungry I am or how much there is to divide up. Isn't that terrible? Good for you for taking control of what you eat like that.

Cobbler

I'm very good at portion control. Big portions only, no exceptions and I control that habit very well.:D

I'll eat one big meal a day and pick at things throughout the remainder day.

aunaturel

I don't measure stuff out - it's too much work and it makes eating right a chore. Instead, I try to make sure my plate is at least half vegetables with the protein and starch on the other half. That seems to work for me.

chabella

All Lady
Tonight for dinner we had (smoked honey) marinated chicken trips (about 3 inches long, 1/2 wide), broccoli and french bread (with spices and light shredded cheese). By this site alone I am within my normal weight limits (they say "Medium Frame") for me, with a plus or minus of 10%, by what the site showed me for my age I am about 7lbs less.

Myrrh

I try to control what and how much I put on my plate, but I don't measure it out. I just make sure that I have more veggies than meat and carbohydrates, and that I have some fresh fruit on the table.

2Nature

I don't have the need for portion control because I do something else. I count calories for the day and from there I divide my meals. It's more accurate but admittedly slower because of the planning involved.

Greenwoman

I remember reading somewhere that using a smaller plate that's piled with food and larger utensils are supposed to help you eat less. Personally, I'd much rather just weigh my food.

freshfoodie

I used to measure everything, but after doing it for so long, I am pretty good at eyeballing a measurement. I don't pay too much attention to it, but I do not overdo it either.

SoftRain

Yes, measuring out the food is tedious, but it does help. The smaller plate trick is also very helpful. We switched to salad plates over a year ago and now the regular dinner plates seem gigantic.

2Nature, how do you accurately count out your calories if you aren't paying attention to how big the portions are?