Plants for someone with a black thumb?

Esperahol

My mother kills plants like it's going out of style and she really doesn't mean to. She just happens to be forgetful and to um... love them to literal pieces. However, she loves to use herbs and eat vegetables so are there any plants that are basically murder-proof?

xenon

so are there any plants that are basically murder-proof?
Where does she live and what is the climate? Depending where she lives climate-wise can determine what grows best. Soil, aspect, available water, container growing or in the soil in a garden can all make a difference. Ideally she should come to terms with her growing skills and treat the plants according to their needs. It really is easy.:) Maybe supply some more information so we can help on this forum.

Yes, a little more info might help. You might take her to a nursery one day though and let them help her out with some plants that she might can handle. I'm sure they would give here exact instructions on how to take care of them.

dissn_it

Well, there really isn't any kind of edible plant that is murder-proof! I grow herbs on my kitchen window sill because it is south facing and gets sun all day long. Two easy herbs to care for would be chives and basil. I have what I call a salad garden outside, also in containers. They are really large containers but all the plants are pretty easy to grow. One has three different types of leaf lettuce and two cherry tomato plants. The other one has carrots, radishes and cucumbers. Growing in containers is less work but they do need good drainage and fertilizer added to the soil.

dziomek

I'm not too sure about edible plants that are murder-proof, but a fairly easy houseplant to grow is the Spider Plant. I think they thrive on neglect. I have a huge one on my filing cabinet that is all but ignored (gets watered once a week - if I remember) and is forever sending out babies. Chives are fairly easy to grow, as in the previous post. I try to keep a pot inside during the winter so I have fresh chives for my cooking. I do not have a south window I can use but a West window seems to work, but I must add the chives are a little spindlier than when grown in full sun.