Pharmaceuticals

shaunche

Half of the American population are taking pharmaceutical medication according to the New York Times.

Do you take any prescription medication? Does it help? What is your general opinion on pharmaceutical medication?

My view is that it is patently not working but there is a lot of money at stake...

ohiotom76

I went through three different anti depressants, and did not have any success with any of them. So I just quit taking them all together. I was also on medication for a while to treat seizures, but it actually seemed to be making things worse, I was an emotional wreck on them and was still having the seizures. So I quit taking those as well, and have just been working to reduce the stress in my life, which has helped.

iampeebs

I do not take any on a regular basis. I have been getting major dental work done and take hydro condone or something like that for the pain. I usually just use it a day or two and then I am fine without. When I had my jaw redone, I needed it for a couple of weeks.

claudine

I try to avoid prescription medication, I take it only when I have to and fortunately this doesn't happen to often. I took some pain killers recommended by the doctor when I broke my arm a few months ago.

Esperahol

No. It can. And they are necessary for moderate to severe illinesses/conditions such as those dealing with mental illness or things like one's heart or liver. Insulin is an example of something required particularly for kids dealing with Type 1. Lithum is another since only bad things are going to come of going off it. AIDS is yet another condition that requires multiple medications to beat back the lost of one's immune system.

jovan107

I try to stay away from prescription medication. I only use painkillers if its absolutely necessary. I prefer to try a natural remedy before I take prescription medication. I'm astonished at the number of over the counter medicine for simple illnesses. I believe over the counter and prescribed medicine is big business for pharmaceutical companies.

pafjlh

I do take prescription drugs for certain conditions such as hypertension. But I will admit that I am not in favor of using them for every problem such as managing pain. I do have a condition that if I hadn't figured out an alternative form of therapy could of had me taking pain pills on a daily basis. I was almost at that point till I discovered this form of treatment. It is frightening though when you stop to think about the amount of prescription drugs that are prescribed out there and the sad thing is so much of the population believe this is OK because a doctor prescribed it for them. But for me unless its a drug for an existing condition that needs the drug to help control it, I'm not in favor of taking it.

jovan107

I try to stay away from prescription medication. I only use painkillers if its absolutely necessary. I prefer to try a natural remedy before I take prescription medication. I'm astonished at the number of over the counter medicine for simple illnesses. I believe over the counter and prescribed medicine is big business for pharmaceutical companies.
A few years ago my mother was diagnosed with arthritis. Her doctor placed her on a variety of medications. My mother refused to fill her prescriptions, because she was searching for a natural remedy to alleviate the pain. She started to drink ginger two-three times a day about two weeks after her diagnosis. Her remedy has helped her tremendously. Ginger has amazing health benefits. She grates it and boil it for a few minutes before consumption and she now drinks it once a day.

xenon

I take Ventolin asthma spray which is prescribed. I was on Crestor, a cholesterol lowering drug with some success in lowering my high level but after reading a post on this forum some time back, I looked into it and decided to give that particular medication up.