Peel or wash?

Lucinda

I have read that apples carry some of the most residue from pesticides and other toxins. I always wash my apples, but I rarely use soap or special cleaners. Still, I'm afraid of ingesting too many toxins. I have started peeling the apples instead. What method is safest? I know we need apples in our diets.

AppleMay

I always just wash them. I really don't like to peel them if I can help it as that is where most of your nutrients are.

Lilly

Just soak all of your produce in a sink full of water and a little bit of vinegar. I believe the ratio is one gallon of water to 1/4 cup of vinegar. You can soak it for as little as a half an hour and most of the pesticides will be pulled out.

Aletha

Have you tried to soak in vinegar and baking soda? I've heard that from somewhere and I know it would foam but I heard it would get all of the wax and residual pesticides off of it. I prefer to eat my own I've grown but my trees didn't produce enough this year.

Cassia

As much as possible, I want to eat my apples with the skin intact. However, all these pesticide and chemical issues are starting to scare me, so sometimes I peel my apples. I haven't heard of this water-vinegar/baking soda soaking solution, but it sounds a good method to wash out the residual toxic substances.

freshfoodie

I eat my apples with the skin on because as someone else said, that's where all the nutrients are. I usually just use a vegetable brush and water to clean them.

SoftRain

I rinse mine with water and rub them really hard with my hands. I've heard of (although never tried) the vinegar/water bath for produce. I usually hear of using it for things like berries and grapes.

jolee

I use a fruit and vegetable wash specifically made for removing such residues. I do whole batches at a time when I get my produce, so it's then ready to go.

StarGazer

Apples are one of the worst offenders and the pesticides are systemic, meaning throughout the fruit. They're tops on the Environmental Working Group's Dirty Dozen and were tested AFTER being washed and peeled. If at all possible, you should always buy organic apples.

Luvkenny

I just wash my apples and all fruit with water and my hand. I haven't gotten sick yet and I'm 40 and I've been doing this for as long as I can remember. I think those fruit washes are a waste of money.

Greenwoman

I would normally just wash my fruit instead of peeling them. On the other hand, there's nothing really wrong with peeling them if you are too uncertain of them.

chabella

All Lady
We have never really soaked ours but we do a good bit of peeling. The kids prefer it that way and I only eat green apples but if a red one comes my way I will peel it down too.