Orange pomanders

PaloVerde

We made these years ago and they smell so good. I decided to make some this year. It doesn't take much work or supplies. You just need a couple oranges, some cloves, and some spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, a piece of ribbon, some straight pins, and a paper bag.

Tie the ribbon around the orange and secure it with the pins. Decorate the orange by pushing in the cloves all over the orange. You can stud them in any pattern you like. Dust the spices over the orange. Stick it into a paper sack for a week or two to let it dry. It smells wonderful.

You can skip the ribbon step and just place them in a bowl once they dry, or put on the ribbon and hang on your tree or anywhere else you'd like.

Lyra

Funny you should bring this up. I haven't seen these in years. But I actually told my kids that I would like a few of these as Christmas gifts this year. I love orange scent and it would be lovely to have a few of these to hang in closets.

PaloVerde

They do smell good. It's been so long since we've made these that I can't remember how long the scent lasts. I do remember my grandmother making these with me at different times of the year, not just the holiday season. She said ants don't like them. For a few years I thought she was telling me that my aunt doesn't like them so I kept wondering why was she making them. :D