opposite coffee reactions

chabella

All Lady
Has anyone had the opposite effect of coffee before? I would think it has something to do with how it is made or what extra's are added in. A friend of mine can drink coffee at night and still get to sleep on time, what gives?

Alli

I know several people the same way chabella. My husband being one. He could drink coffee at midnight and still sleep. I have to quit drinking coffee and tea by at least 3 in the afternoon in order to get a good night's sleep. I guess it's just the difference in people.

freshfoodie

I drink a caffeinated beverage from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. It doesn't keep me from sleeping. Of course, I have the blood pressure of a corpse so I think the caffeine is the only thing that keeps me moving all day long.

Penelope

It's not an opposite effect, just a difference in how individuals metabolize caffeine. I could drink coffee at night when I was younger, but as I get older, I have a lower tolerance. Now, if I have caffeine after 2 pm, I will have a hard time sleeping at night. It seems to stay in my system longer now.

SoftRain

Freshfoodie, that made me laugh. I have low blood pressure too.

I am fairly easily affected by caffeine, which is why I don't drink it much. My husband, on the other hand, drinks several cups of coffee a day and gets sleepy earlier than I do.

chabella

All Lady
I really do not drink that much coffee, I might have two cups in a month time span if that Soda for me is random, if we are out at a restaurant I might have one, or a barbeque with friends & family. I guess caffeine drinks are not my "daily drinks". If I drank coffee before bed I would end up going to sleep at least five hours later off one cup.

freshfoodie

SoftRain, last time I tried to kick my caffeine habit I ended up passing out a couple times because my blood pressure bottomed out. The doctor measured it at 65/55. I took that as a sign I wasn't supposed to quit.

Cassia

I am one of those people who could drink coffee at night and still sleep. In fact, I am used to having a cup two to three hours before bedtime. I don't know why but maybe Penelope is right. It's all about caffeine metabolism or tolerance perhaps?

2Nature

Some people are just get used to coffee but when you're tired you're tired. I can drink three cups of coffee and still fall asleep easily when I'm super tired but that doesn't mean that my dreams will be pleasant. :)

Aletha

I wonder if it's the same effect that stimulants have on hyperactive children? If they give a stimulant to a child that has ADHD, it has the opposite effect on them. It could either be that they are just used to the caffeine and it doesn't affect them like it does someone who doesn't drink it like they do.