Open flame paranoia

lettuce

Sometimes when I watch shows on TV that involve the characters working with candles, I think about how easy it would be for a girl's long hair to catch on fire or a loose bit of clothing to go up in flames. How careful are you when it comes to dealing with contained flames?

I'm somewhat paranoid around open flames myself. I'm always careful to position candles away from anything flammable, including clothing, bedding and curtains, and I'll never leave a room with a lit candle in it, or fall asleep without blowing the candle out first.

xenon

I'm somewhat paranoid around open flames myself. I'm always careful to position candles away from anything flammable, including clothing, bedding and curtains, and I'll never leave a room with a lit candle in it, or fall asleep without blowing the candle out first.
I couldn't agree more. I did go through a period making candles. I buy them now and am particularly careful in all aspects of using them. I've seen candle holders made of wood of all things.
Years ago a friend of mine made candles. His young son pulled the saucepan of hot wax off the stove onto his face. He was severely burnt and was required to wear a face mask for years. Care is definitely required.

shaunche

I'm not paranoid about flames. I just make sure nothing can catch fire. My mum is slightly paranoid about fire, I think all mums are. Our next-door-but-one neighbor left her deep fat fryer unattended and burnt her house down. Fortunately they had house insurance.

Esperahol

It's not paranoia if it really is out to get you. The biggest point of fire safety is recognizing all the possible hazards and trying to eliminate them.

I make sure any candles I have are not near anything that could possibly catch fire, and I never put them where my kids can get to them or knock them over. It is just making sure the basic safety rules are followed.

Somniate

I generally tuck my hair behind my ears, and keep the candle and flame away from me. If I'm concerned I'll hold my hair behind my head with one hand. If i'm wearing long sleeves, I'll roll them up. I try to make sure that nothing is too close to the flame, too. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on the candle though.