On-going Negative Emotions

enthusiast

I got into some (a lot) of unforgiveness that led to bitterness and resentment. A couple of days ago, I read that negative emotions like those have a negative effect on our health. Has anyone else read that?

wanderingherb

Yes, this is true, and yes, studies have been done. This is why cancer patients are approached with positive. Inn good centers anyway. When you are really ill a positive attitude helps the body fight and those around you need to be positive also.

Wanderingherb

enthusiast

I'm not surprised that studies have shown a connection between disease and emotions. I had high blood pressure, which has come down to normal after taking Hawthorn. When it was high, I could feel the pressure in my head when it would spike (usually when stressed).

Walter

I agree that negative emotions have something to do with the health problems you suffer from. Unforgiveness will hurt you more than it hurts the person you don't forgive.

vanillabean

I've read a lot about negative emotions bringing down your health. I know that from experience, that if you let something eat you alive--it won't just tear you apart mentally, it will wear you down physically as well.

I held a lot of anger toward several people. Once I was able to get to the point where I could just release it and forgive them...my health began improving.

boobah

I know that it does. That sort of anxiety gets cortisol and other stress hormones going. Now they are discovering that it is throwing off the relationship between the hypothalamus and the rest of the body. The end results is that your brain will develop to many of the wrong receptors, which will then throw your whole body in to an unbalanced state that could lead to chronic ilness.

wanderingherb

Chronic illness, not just due to negative thoughts.
It goes a lot deeper.
When a great deal of stress or trama. This means when you break up with someone, divorce, lose a job, a victm of violence, move, relocate, all these things our body responds to with a "flight or fight" mechanism.

The medical society doesn't really know what triggers autoimmune disorders. They are just now recognizing them as illnesses. I believe there are over 120 kinds they now accept in the medical society. They used to be treated like cancer, or like mental illness or hypochondriac.

Simply not true. Recent studies have shown that some humans have a trigger with the flight or fight response, all part of the autoimmune, and when normally most folks body would see the perceived "danger" or stress is done, shuts off, some bodies are genetically predisposed not to shut off. The body "sticks" into high gear. They don't know why, they only know this is what they believe is happening. More are showing up over the years and now they are being taken seriously.

Unfortunately, once our bodies go into that mode, the danger is gone, but the body continues in the "flight or fight" then the body will begin to attack the body. It is much like immune system gone bad.

Negative thoughts, some anyway, some are normal whether we want to accept them or not, but deep imbedded negative thoughts can weaken our body.
So it isn't just negative thoughts. It is how our body responds to different events in our life.

Whereas another train of thought believes chronic illness is caused from an undetected virus or fungal infection. No one knows what causes chronic illness. But at least they are now recognizing it as a true illness and not just in a person's mind.

With cancer patients, remaining positive is important. "Yes you can fight this" Otherwise the body just literally shuts down and allows what will happen, happen. We give up and are ready to just move on. I've seen doctors tell a person how long they have to live, and that person will pass away at that time. Whereas I've seen doctors who say, yes you are very ill, I'm not god so I don't know how much time you have but you have options" this gives a person hope, and they far outlive what any doctor thought they would.

Constant nasal infections and illnesses are also a sign of domestic abuse. The body is under too much stress.

It isn't just "negative" thoughts that we can change. That helps, yes, but some of the "negative" runs deeper than that and it can't be shut off. Its vicious really.

Wanderingherb

mark5049

Oh yes, absolutely. If you always harbor a lot of hatred, bitterness or ill feelings towards someone (or towards most people), you simply are not a happy person. And an unhappy person is not a healthy person.

Walter

Well said, Mark. You can't be healthy when you are not happy. I read that the blood of an angry people is so poisonous. In a research, a rabbit died instantly after injected with such blood.

wanderingherb

Walter, no offense, but that is a little out there. Could it be the rabbit died because the blood match wasn't right?

Angry blood is not poisonous. Where is our compassion? You lose compassion for those having difficulties, then we lose our souls to the same thing.
IMHO

Wanderingherb

ThymeforRodney

That's one reason I try to meditate at least twice a day. Sometimes I'm too wound up to do it but I do try. Even if I just sit still it helps a bit. Meditation is one of the best things I've ever found to help me with my back pain and headaches. Stress headaches are something I've had issues with for years and the meditation really cuts down on them.

Hedda

Those negative emotions might be serving a good purpose, kind of like feeling pain in your body. Paiin is there to alert you to something wrong. Negative emotions can do the same.

wanderingherb

Those negative emotions might be serving a good purpose, kind of like feeling pain in your body. Paiin is there to alert you to something wrong. Negative emotions can do the same.
Excellent way of putting it. I happen to embrace any negative emotions, because they are here for a reason. I think about what is going on. Sometimes those are our intuitive thoughts giving us "red flags" to let us know stay away or don't do that.

Emotions positive or negative serve their purpose. IMHO if I run into a perpetual positive emotional person, I am leary of them. By ignoring the negative, when is that person going to just BLOW and snap. So constant positive is disconcerting to me. We must have negative along with positive. IMHO

wanderingherb

enthusiast

Of course emotions, whether positive or negative, serve a purpose. It's the ongoing negative emotions that I read can be bad and result in health issues. An example would be someone hurting your feelings and you harboring resentment or bitterness about it for months or even years.

GardenSue

It could have been an old wives tale about the angry blood being poisonous. Just the same though it really isn't good for anyone and the fact is these moods are contagious and can cause others to become ill if you think about it.

jason

Have a great day
When moods get tight here, I burn some sage, which seems to help. Not sure if that is the type of things you are talking about.

wanderingherb

When moods get tight here, I burn some sage, which seems to help. Not sure if that is the type of things you are talking about.
Yep! I have a combo with sage I use! Plus, I have chimes in my house i just ring once in awhile as I walk by. It is said to disperse the energy patterns and balance them back out. Oh and...I have a mirror placed on a wall in my entrance to my home. Nothing bold and questionable. It reflects bad energy back out the door. Folks come in and don't even notice it!!

Wanderingherb

wanderingherb

Of course emotions, whether positive or negative, serve a purpose. It's the ongoing negative emotions that I read can be bad and result in health issues. An example would be someone hurting your feelings and you harboring resentment or bitterness about it for months or even years.
I meant to respond on this but computer froze!

Verbal abuse ranges. Yes, being around verbal abuse will cause serious health issues. I tried to find the studies done on this and can't find them. But they do exist. If you search you will find them. There are a lot of actual studies on this.

One thing health care providers start looking for is domestic violence signs, verbal abuse is a big one, and this is done if a person comes in constantly with a perpetual sinus infection or problems. Also perpetual cold/flu and aches and pains of unknown origin, symptoms that linger on for far too long. This is actually a documented sign of verbal domestic abuse. It can hit the respiratory centers and the nervous center. So most definitely, yes.

Dwelling, yes, this too causes the same symptoms and will definitely make you ill. It increases stress levels. It is hard to let go, for some people they can hold a grudge for years. I have a friend who is holding a grudge from something said to her by a friend of ours...get this...20 years ago. I was floored. It really wasn't that bad. But to her, it was cause to hang on to it all these years and she will continue to do so. The person was completely unaware. Once she found out she tried to apologize but this person will not accept the apology. She actually is insulted if I or any of us are seen with her. I mean honestly. She goes off about the incident every time.

This is why I do not hold grudges. I don't have time too, nor was i ever taught its okay to have a grudge. I don't need to be around mean nasty people. Honest is okay even though sometimes that hurts too. It may be that you are hurting someone's feelings and don't even realize it. Some individuals are incredibly fragile with their feelings for whatever reason.

I am very much into visual communication because i try to read a persons signs of communications not verbally spoken. The internet is very susceptible to misunderstandings.

Wanderingherb