Neutral/Unscented

Weezle

Does anyone here make unscented utility candles for power blackouts? I was once in a week long electrically blackout and believe me, the scented ones get old very quickly. Especially when you had to use several at once. Talk about scent overload!

Happyhome

I started to do make unscented candles after the last time I was in a blackout and only had one smelly jar candle to use!

SoftRain

I never considered that when making my scented candles, but you are right. I will have to whip up a batch of unscented so we don't all get headaches during blackouts.

ThymeandTide

That's a good idea. I know they sell some small candles for emergencies that are unsented but they don't last very long. I'm going to have to do a bunch just for this reason. We keep some in candle holders around just in case of blackouts. I don't know what we would do if we didn't have electric for a week!

petunia

They actually make unscented "storm candles" that are 3 wick candles that last something like 65 hours of burn time. I can't remember where we bought them, but they gave off a decent amount of light and lasted a long time. I tend to use an old fashioned hurricane lamp when I want really bright light.

Cassia

We have several packs of these unscented candles which come in handy during blackouts. They really last longer than the scented ones. We've never used scented candles during blackouts.

Cathy

I was lucky enough to find a huge box of unscented candles at a yard sale before Christmas. I used them throughout the holiday and have enough to take me through several hurricane seasons and another Christmas season.

chabella

All Lady
We need to stock up on some, as cold as it has been lately I am just waiting for a power failure. I woke up today and I did not even want to crawl out of bed and I was under two blankets already. I know we are going to get one soon, its been 2 years since our last and we are overdue for it.

earthfan

Most of my candles have a very subtle scent. Even with several burning at once, the scent has never bothered me. Maybe it's because they are cinammon which is a scent I love. Knocking on wood, our area has very few blackouts and they generally last only a few hours. With most of them during the night, I normally don't have to burn candles more than an hour or two.

strawberry

I can see what you mean about a strong scent becoming irritating after awhile. I do have a few candles in glass containers that are unscented to use in case of a blackout, but I think I'll pick up a few more just to be on the safe side.

GlassSlipper

We don't usually have blackouts where I live. There has been only one that I can recall in my entire life and that was about 5 years ago and caused by a gigantic ice storm.

lettuce

I don't know if I would go to the hassle of making my own candles specifically for this purpose, but it sounds like a good idea. I think I'm okay with investing in some cheap uncsentables and saving the actual candle-making for fun fragrances.