Natural deodorants?

TabithaW

Does anyone make their own natural deo? I do. I use my basic lotion bar recipe and add baking soda. It's very effective and I sell a lot of them. I think I would like to add some EOs to them, though. Which EOs might be best in this form? Any ideas? Tea Tree comes to mind first and foremost.

alid1

I love the smell of rose oil. It is fresh and clean smelling. As long as it wasn't too strong, I would definitely buy something like that. I also love the smell of peppermint. I have EO peppermint soap, and I love it. It is an invigorating smell. I think that is great that you make your own EO soaps.

Nina

I, too, would buy the rose oil. This is one smell that must be my favorite of all, other than gardenia and vanilla. Is it readily available? I would want it to be ever so subtle a smell.

AnonaMoss

I like the smell of peppermint, but i'm not sure how much people would like that as a deodorant. I suppose I would use something light like lavender or rose. I don't think you can go wrong with a type of floral scent because the scent usually wears off nicely and not stale. I'd love to make my own someday as well. I'm not impressed with store bought natural deodorants at the moment. Some of them are too harsh; A certain brand burned me.

hunysukle

I have never made my own deodorant, but I do use an all-natural brand. I heard before that sea salt works very well as a natural deodorant, and baking soda is also great for killing odors.

SweetPea

there is a recipe for a coconut oil based one floating around the internet. Havent tried it myself but it has some great reviews.

shaunche

Lavender and peppermint oils would work well, as would rosemary. You want to opt for an oil with anti-bacterial properties, then just decide which scent you prefer. Do you have a website for your products? I'd be interested in buying...

SweetPea

heres that recipe

• 1/4 cup arrowroot
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 5 tbs coconut oil
  • 20 drops essential oil (I used sweet orange and a mix of Eucalypt, thyme and tea tree)
Mix it all together, It is easier if the oil is melted down and then pour into a mould or an empty deodorant container that you can reuse.

shaunche

heres that recipe

• 1/4 cup arrowroot
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 5 tbs coconut oil
  • 20 drops essential oil (I used sweet orange and a mix of Eucalypt, thyme and tea tree)
Mix it all together, It is easier if the oil is melted down and then pour into a mould or an empty deodorant container that you can reuse.
Thanks for sharing this recipe, it looks good. Could I use extra virgin olive oil or red palm oil instead of the coconut oil?

I have read about people use lard as a deodorant, I tried it a few weeks ago and I wasn't very enamored by the porky smell coming from my armpits, haha.

gina121

Does anyone make their own natural deo? I do. I use my basic lotion bar recipe and add baking soda. It's very effective and I sell a lot of them. I think I would like to add some EOs to them, though. Which EOs might be best in this form? Any ideas? Tea Tree comes to mind first and foremost.
Lemongrass or bergamot would be my EOs of choice. Both have antiseptic qualities as well. I particularly like the floral fragrance of bergamot essential oil.