My basil came back

freshfoodie

I had a pot of basil on my windowsill for a long time and it died. I tried and tried to get it to come back but it wouldn't so I tossed it outside thinking I would get rid of it when I had a minute. I just noticed today that the basil has started to come back!

That is great. I really do not care for my basil too much. I pretty much just let it grow wild and each year it comes up. I don't use it much, but it is nice to throw into some of my recipes if I want to use it. I am glad that your basil decided to come back. Maybe it wasn't getting enough sunlight on your windowsill?

xenon

Yes, maybe it needed a holiday. Basil can have perennial varieties which can come back in warm or tropical areas. What variety was yours?

dissn_it

Good thing you didn't get rid of it! Basil does need a good amount of sunshine everyday. Do you have the same amount of sunlight on the window sill as it is getting outside? If not and you do try to bring it back indoors, you may need to try a different window sill for it. For now, I would leave it outdoors and start enjoying it in your cooking!

Jessi

Ha, oops! Glad you didn't completely get rid of it then. Now you have the chance to let it grow again. Good luck!

gina121

Any number of reasons could have caused the basil plant to wither. As others pointed out, it could be lack of enough sunshine. It could have also been a lack of fresh and moist soil (changing the soil often revives plants). There are pH test kits to test the acidity level in the soil. The wrong pH level of the soil, and unsuitable temperature where the plant is growing are other reasons why the plant might have died. By tossing it outside, it must have got something that it was looking for.