Mushrooms

Sage

Does anyone here collect mushrooms to eat or try to grow them? I met a man a few days ago that hunts Morel mushrooms. I've also met someone before that actually grows them.

dissn_it

I have hunted for wild mushrooms for years. Morel mushrooms are usually found in the spring in our area. They do need to be cleaned really well. There are also other varieties that grow wild in our area. You do need to know what types are okay to eat and whicj ones are not. I try to stick with the ones that are obviously okay to consume.
I have never tried to grow mushrooms before, though.

rayne

I would love to eat mushrooms from the wild but have always been afraid to do so. There are some out there that are very poisonious and with my luck, I would end up with one of them. I really should learn which ones are safe and which ones are not. How hard are they to grow? Can you buy a kit?

catevanne

You can grow Morels, and eat them as well. They are one of the most common kind of mushrooms. If you want to make money you can even grow them on your own...look into buying a mushroom growing kit. Morels taste good and can be used in all kinds of foods-make sure you can identify them and then go hunting for them in the woods near your home-if there are any woods....they grow in many different areas of the United States except the desert and deep Southern coastal areas.

Melissast

I love mushrooms. The thought of growing them myself never had occured to me before. I would be to afraid to go hunt for wild mushrooms. I'm sure they taste better then the ones that you find in the store. With my luck I would end up getting them mixed up with something else and eating something posionious.

shaunche

I have a basic understanding of mushroom foraging but I would like to learn more. I have foraged field mushrooms, they grow abundantly at my local field and they taste great. I haven't stumbled across any Porcini or Morel mushrooms, though.