Mushrooms and Vitamin D

Myrrh

A study conducted by the Boston University School of Medicine reveals that mushrooms can provide as much Vitamin D as supplements. In the research, the participants were divided into three groups. One group took vitamin D2 capsules while the other took vitamin D3. The third group ingested mushroom powder. The supplements and the mushroom powder all contained 2000 IU of vitamin D. The results (after 12 weeks) indicated that there was no difference in the vitamin D levels between those who took the supplements and those who had the mushroom powder.

aunaturel

I never knew that mushrooms have vitamin D in them. I like mushrooms and cook with every chance I get, so that's good to know. I didn't realize there was such a thing as vitamin D2 or D3, though. What's the difference between the three forms of vitamin D?

Myrrh

I never knew that mushrooms have vitamin D in them. I like mushrooms and cook with every chance I get, so that's good to know. I didn't realize there was such a thing as vitamin D2 or D3, though. What's the difference between the three forms of vitamin D?
I was also surprised to find out that there were vitamins D2 and D3. I thought that vitamin D is just vitamin D. I tried to dig into it, and it says that vitamin D2 is synthesized by plants while vitamin D3 is produced by the body when the skin is exposed to UVB light from the sun. Accordingly, vitamin D3 is the more potent form.

armyswat

mushrooms have little bit of vitamin D, fish oil has more.

but the best source is the sun, which gives most of it, i would recommend getting the sun light everyday while it's sunny, and not use sun screen which causes cancer.

and it's a myth by sun screen industry that you'll get cancer if you expose your self too much to the sun. those who have cancer actually have low levels of vitamin D (using a clinic blood test)