Muscle Tension

I find that I'm frequently uncomfortably tense in my neck, back, and jaw. I get the feeling that this is related to stress, and it's probably pretty normal, but it would be nice not to be tense all the time. I take yoga whenever I can fit it into my schedule, which happens about four or five times a week. Other than that, I don't really know what to do. How do the rest of you manage your stress?

gina121

Stretching your neck and doing back exercises can also relieve some of the tension accumulated in these areas. You could also try going for a monthly massage with a therapist. I usually give myself a self massage when I find my neck and back stiff. It helps soften the tissue and releases some of the stress.

artistry

Stretching is good. Try finding a warm rotating muscle relaxer, hand held machine. That could be used on your neck and shoulders to break the tension. A moist heating pad on your body, in the tense areas could help as well. Also try sleeping without a pillow, see if that makes a difference.

Stretching your neck and doing back exercises can also relieve some of the tension accumulated in these areas. You could also try going for a monthly massage with a therapist. I usually give myself a self massage when I find my neck and back stiff. It helps soften the tissue and releases some of the stress.
I had a massage with a therapist last week. It was awesome but the next day I wanted another one (and who's got that kind of time and money). That's the issue with yoga as well. It works really well for one day.

shaunche

The shoulder, back, neck and jaw are the areas most prone to tension. The most obvious remedy for these tense areas is massage. A massage will release the tension in the muscle and enable you to relax again. Breathing techniques are good too.

misumaru15

I know that scalp massages are supposed to be good. I thought about getting one of those hand held muscle stimulators. It's not one of those "massagers". I know that I have been getting a bit tense from workouts.