Muscadine Grapes

Greenwoman

I was surveying my backyard for wood that would work well for my bow and arrow, and I discovered that we have a wild muscadine grape vine growing in our backyard on the edge of the woods. The fruit is unripened still, but I am hoping that I can make something awesome from the grapes. I've also heard that one can make wine from them. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

jason

Have a great day
You can make wine from them, but it tastes a bit different. Not really sure how to put it other then different. Some people like it some do not. My wife sadly does not.

Greenwoman

I'd be very interested in trying to make some wine. I heard that it was high in antioxidants, and that the muscadine grape alone has eight times more antioxidants than even blueberries. I agree, the fruit does taste rather odd, but I consider it a small price to pay for no wrinkles!

aunaturel

Try blending with another wine grape to improve the flavor, if you don't care for that of the muscadine grapes. They're also good for making jellies and just regular juices.

Greenwoman

I didn't think about making a juice out of it. I would imagine that it would taste bitter, but at the same time, maybe it would the flavor would be compatible if mixed with apple juice and carrot juice.

jason

Have a great day
I'd be very interested in trying to make some wine. I heard that it was high in antioxidants, and that the muscadine grape alone has eight times more antioxidants than even blueberries. I agree, the fruit does taste rather odd, but I consider it a small price to pay for no wrinkles!

There is a wine maker near St Augustine that uses a lot of muscadine grapes in their wines. If I remember correctly this is it. http://www.sansebastianwinery.com/ Every 4-6 months they do a buy one case get one free through their newsletter.

Greenwoman

Dude, that sounds like something I would totally purchase when I get my own place! I wonder if there is a winemaker in our area, though. But on the other hand, I am definitely in need of a vacation, and Florida sounds like a fun destination!

freshfoodie

I guess I don't really know what a Muscadine grape is. Is it something you could make jam out of? Even if you had to mix it with another kind of fruit, it would still be a cheap alternative to store bought.