Mouse traps

naturelady

My friend has a mouse. The exterminator said if he came out he would put out poison traps. She is worried this will be dangerous for her dogs. Is there a better way to catch the mouse that won't threaten her dogs?

NeedToLearnMore

I think they have these types of traps out now that the mouse walks into and dies then you just throw the whole thing away. I've seen them advertised on TV, not sure how well they work?

Hedda

If you put the traps where the mice could go but where the dogs cannot go, then it should not be an issue for the safety of the dogs at all. They work well.

gmommy

I have a mouse trap that the mouse can get into but can't get out of. I then take him outside as far from the house as I can get and let him go. I feel better about not having to kill the mouse.

naturelady

These are some great ideas. Thank you all for the feedback. It sounds like there are more options then she realized that will take care of the problem and still keep her dogs safe.

Gracie

Most dogs won't get hurt by any mouse traps. The key is to put them in places that the dog won't go. We have used traps for as long as I can remember.

Georgina

I prefer to use the glue traps and I always set them places the cats don't go. I like the glue traps because I don't have to kill the mouse.

Bookfair

glue traps

We put glue traps down in our shed to catch the rats. We actually saw one glue trap running away up the rafters but the rest all disappeared when we weren't looking. We ended up putting down poisoned bait and keeping the dog and cat locked up for a few weeks until baiting finished.

Jessi

I prefer to use the glue traps and I always set them places the cats don't go. I like the glue traps because I don't have to kill the mouse.
Where do you put them then? And uh, how do you get them off the traps? Do you just take the trap out back and scrape them off the glue until they fall off and scurry away?

lettuce

I had a mouse in my house a year ago, and I threw a pot over it to trap it when I saw it. I then dragged it out of the house - no poison necessary.

I think they have these types of traps out now that the mouse walks into and dies then you just throw the whole thing away. I've seen them advertised on TV, not sure how well they work?
I don't know if I personally like the idea of live mouse traps..ewwww!. Anyways, I would not put down poison for sure. A huge danger to your pet! I would check with you Vet, maybe he or she can suggest something that would help.

huullk

I have a mouse trap that the mouse can get into but can't get out of. I then take him outside as far from the house as I can get and let him go. I feel better about not having to kill the mouse.

chabella

All Lady
We have honestly never had this issue before, having cats they always chase them off. We have never had any in the house or on the property. I thought animal control could advise locals about humane traps??

Randomhero

My friend has a mouse. The exterminator said if he came out he would put out poison traps. She is worried this will be dangerous for her dogs. Is there a better way to catch the mouse that won't threaten her dogs?
I caught a mouse one time when I was living in honolulu for a while. I would hear it screech across my floor at like 2AM. Freaked me out too. So I got one of those sticky traps and put a nice little piece of chocolate on it. Guess what? NEXT MORNING! I caught that bugger, stuck to the trap trying to eat the chocolate. Owned :)

dissn_it

A few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball placed in several places will deter the mice from coming inside. You can place them in out of the way places so no pets or children get them. We add a drop or two to each cotton ball about once a month. We never have mice in the house or the garage since we started doing this.:D

btatro

Where do you put them then? And uh, how do you get them off the traps? Do you just take the trap out back and scrape them off the glue until they fall off and scurry away?
You would just throw the entire thing away, like the ones that trap the mouse inside so you don't have to see it. I tried using a glue trap once with no luck (they went to the traditional snap trap). I never thought about it, but I'm glad the glue trap didn't catch them. They would be stuck, alive, and just wiggling around... ick!

konstantina

Poison will definitely hurt your dog and you might even have to clean the house with something special before you can bring your dog back. I would definitely suggest a mouse trap that doesn't kill the mouse because they seem to work better than other traps. I also want to tell you that mice in general tend to use one path. I mean that the mouse gets in from a certain path, has one place that lives and gets out from the same path. It just uses one path. So if your friend has seen the path, she can block it and catch the mouse while on confusion or just leave open a path out of the house. Anyway, I hope you solve your problem in the best possible way.

BonnyC

I have cats. It's the circle of life, in my opinion. Culling the herd, so to speak. Plus, just having cats will keep mice from coming around. I'm not sure how I'd handle it if I didn't or couldn't have cats in my home. I don't think I'd mind killing the rats, but I really wouldn't want to have to deal with the disposal. :eek:

Ownageprankers

If you put the traps where the mice could go but where the dogs cannot go, then it should not be an issue for the safety of the dogs at all. They work well. I have a mouse trap that the mouse can get into but can't get out of. I then take him outside as far from the house as I can get and let him go. I feel better about not having to kill the mouse. I also prefer to use the glue traps and I always set them places the cats don't go. I like the glue traps because I don't have to kill the mouse.

In my research yesterday, Most dogs won't get hurt by any mouse traps. The key is to put them in places that the dog won't go. We have used traps for as long as I can remember.