Mistletoe as treatment for cancer

Lyra

Mistletoe is being studied as a treatment for cancer. Am I crazy or have I always heard that mistletoe was poisonous? This article/video says it is great for supporting the immune system.

Luvkenny

I thought it was poisonous too. Odd that now they think it might cure cancer. Do you have to ingest it? It's very interesting to me now. I don't have cancer but I have a friend who does. It would be cool if mistletoe would help her.

Hyacinth

I have always associated mistletoe with Christmas :) , so it came a bit of a surprise to find out that it has the potential to help treat cancer. I guess more research is needed to back up the recent findings.

Primrose

Wow! What a video. I think it interesting that this can only be obtained in Europe. Much like B-17 which can only be obtained through mexico. If there is something that will help cancer patients, why won't the FDA approve it?

Lyra

That's a good question, Primrose. It's one of the things that frustrates me so much about the FDA. They demonize herbal supplements while turning the other way on dangerous pharmaceuticals.

Greenwoman

Even in some of the books that I read, I have constantly found that Mistletoe was considered poisonous. It could be that they are looking at a particular chemical inside of the plant that can be used for cancer treatment.

Trudy

Mistletoe was sacred to the ancient Druids. They would read divine messages through the rustling of the leaves of the oak tree, which was their sacred tree. Mistletoe grows on oaks and was part of their ancient rituals. Maybe they knew something we don't know.