Microwaving Herbs

Primrose

A quick way to dry herbs is to pop them in the microwave. I have found 30 second intervals is the best turning the leaves over at the end of each period. However, my sweet basil always tries to catch fire. I don't understand this. Can anyone speak on the reason?

StarGazer

I'm afraid I can't answer for sure, as I've never used the microwave to dry herbs, but perhaps you need to use a lower power for the basil? I was going to use my oven to dry some basil, as the plant I have is too big to come in for the winter. At least, I have no room for it right now. I will have to play with the microwave and see if I can figure out how to make that work for drying some of it.

Lilly

I would try reducing the power of the microwave or shortening the intervals and see if that helps. I never would have thought to dry my herbs in the microwave. I am going to have to try it!

Primrose

Thanks folks. I hadn't thought of using a lower temperature on the microwave. If it still tries to catch fire, I'll use the oven. My other herbs work very well in the microwave. It's just the basil that gives me problems.

Cassia

I haven't tried drying herbs in the microwave. I have never even thought of it. I think it's cool and a fast and easy way to preserve fresh herbs. I will surely try it and will experiment on varied herbs!